Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cornmeal mush and scrapple

Options
lowercasebill
lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
moving the cornmeal mush line south :laugh:

d7dfc23e.jpg

hot Pa german bacon dressing

685bb40d.jpg

6cb71565.jpg

8caab229.jpg

bca228f0.jpg

Comments

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Two out of three ain't bad! :woohoo:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ok, I give up. What is Scrapple? Saw a TV show once where the guy visited the Scrapple factory. He must have asked, "what exactly IS Scrapple?", a dozen times. Never got a straight answer. Mystery Meat? Spam? Dog food? Kitty litter with a binder? What?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    bill, that looks nothing like the cm mush that I learned to make. It was, well, mush...loose.
    I had to look up scrapple..hahaha
    Bet it tasted great!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    oh no! not the scrapple
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    bill you're killing me man, I haven't had scrapple in a couple months (usually do it during colder weather, big breakfasts), & you've cooked that all to a fare-thee-well. Now I know what's on tap for Sunday
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    I first heard of Scrapple (not Scrabble the bored game) when I visited a friend's house in rural PA, USA. I think somewhere near the Poconos mountains. They had a large farm, lots of grass - and - bugs.

Anyway - scrapple is a PA Dutch dish made of scraps of meat and other stuff, and baked in a bread pan. It is sometimes served with maple syrup on it. It is an **acquired** taste.

I suppose it might be very remotely close to Spam - but not really.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Of course not. It was the green vegetable.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    It's the "other stuff" that worries me. :blink:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lowercasebill
    Options
    d1b3885d.jpg

scrapple is corn meal left over pork scraps lard and spices.
    they left out the lard in the ingredient list which changes from time to time.. last bunch was pork snouts and pork skins.. the wiki article is culled from a prodecer website and says only the finest cuts of pork are used,, but go to the store and read the label.. another source says it is what is left over from making balogna ,, only the best blah blah
    dad was a depression era child wwII vet.,,,
    "they scrape up what is left on the floor , rinse the sawdust off put it in lye water to kill the germs....etc
    when i was a boy you would find pices of sawdust in it"
    some put ketchup some maple syrup and other apple butter on it .. good stuff
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    oh good i feel better now
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    it is one of those things you ahve to eat with out thinking too much
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    mush is basically polenta which is basically grits cooled in a loaf pan sliced and fried
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Oh man, me, too! Scrapple is a cool weather breakfast favorite for us, which is only a short season here in Texas. Just another couple of months, though....
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    scrapple eggs cornmeal mush and a cider donut dipped in apple butter with your coffee..
    lowerecasebill
    moving the scrapple line south
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    hahaha. Mystery "meat" indeed! I like the part about the lye to kill gems. Sawdust sounds appetizing too! No wonder the factory guy couldn't answer the question!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    bill,

I rarely use the term yummy but that has to be the term for that!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I had my share of Scrapple when I lived out there, but at that point in the night I'll bet I didn't know my own name. :P
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    corn and pork and bacon all in the same meal it was yummy .. in an effort to eat healthy i bought organic romaine to put the bacon dressing on :laugh:
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i however am fully capable of enjoying scrapple sober :laugh: i suspect some might see that as a flaw
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Looks great bill! When I was young we would stay at a B&B near Woodstock, VT. while we went skiing over the holidays. Breakfast often included scrapple. Back then I liked anything I could drown in maple syrup. :laugh:

Blair

• lowercasebill
    Options
    maple syrup or apple butter on the scrapple and the cornmeal mush for some.. i prefer kethcup on the scrapple and salt pepper and butter on the corn but i keep all the necessaries in stock .
  • jball
    jball Posts: 63
    Options
    Loved scrapple as a kid. Mom used to fry it up good and crisp and serve it with either maple syrup or chili sauce, depending on whether we had pancakes or eggs with it.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    nice work lcb - move that line south

Three letter acronym for scrapple

EBO - Everything but the Oink

A relative of Black Pudding, Red Boudain, Vienna Sausage, Potted meat, and second cousin to spam and bologna :)
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Looks great bill! For some reason I had a little chest pain after looking at the photo's. :woohoo:
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    yea .. skinless chicken breast yakitori, rice and steamed veggies tonight.. see if i can get the blood to flow aqain.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I saw scrapple being made from scratch at the Ntl Apple Festival in PA a few years back. The men poured a bunch of buckets of "ingredients". They cooked it in a huge vat over an open flame. They were going to cook & stir it for 8 hours then bake the remaining product and sell it. There were people standing in line to buy it. Needless to say we were not in the line....ummmmm grosssssss :S :pinch:
  • kmellecker
    Options
    What I would do for some fresh homemade Scrapple! We used to raise a few hogs each year when we lived on a small farm in Virgina and Scrapple making day was a big social event. Without going into the whole process of making Scrapple, we used only the most tender of meats and an array of tasty spices. Kim, you should have stayed in line...
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i did not develope a taste for it till my teens.mainly cause mom put syrup or sugar on just about everything.. once i could control the condiments i was hooked .
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i want to try boudain and i got spam in the cupboard..
    but i have to sneak that ,, my sons have drawn the line at spam and give me a real ration when i want to cook with it.
    rebecca told me about a cincinatti treat called goetta esentially scrapple but with pinhead [steal cut] oats instead of cornmeal i am anxious to get my hands on that ...
    mom would put spam in mac and cheese
    think i will hit up Illgs [german sausage maker] this weekend
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    the local apple buttter frolic as the same but they ladle it out of the caldron into a cup and plop a huge spoon full of apple butter on top and give you a spoon. wonderful smells and tastes on a crisp fall afternoon