Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook On My New Demo Egg - T-Bones

Options
tsheehan7
tsheehan7 Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a demo egg at Eggtoberfest at AMS and cooked this the Sunday night I got home. USDA Choice T-bones went on sale at Publix for $7.99 a pound so I bought two that looked nicely marbled and seared them at 650. I was impressed with the control-ability of the Egg, even though I overcooked the steaks. I think it's my last time buying Publix beef since the quality is poor on about 3 of every 4 purchases. Decent first try though.bge_Oct172010_0006.jpg

They turned out a little over medium, when I would have preferred a little under medium.
bge_Oct172010_0008.jpg

Forgot to add - I sprinkled one with DP Cow Lick and one with DP Raising the Steaks. I think I went too light on the rub and too light on the salt because I thought the flavor was lacking. More rub and a nice salt coating next time.

Comments

• tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    Options
    I am curious how much of a hassle it was getting your demo, I was thinking about it but was not real thrilled about the possibility of waiting in line for 2-3 hours, was the egg cleaned of ashes and cooled? I decided to pull the trigger and get one at eggtoberfest but while I was standing in line to pay for it the sold out!
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    For us it wasn't a hassle at all. We ended up getting two large eggs, one for friends in Atlanta and another for a friend in Abita.

This was not my first egg bought at Eggtoberfest. I bought a MED two years ago for us. After sitting in that line for a few hours, we were better prepared. We asked Jennifer where they would be lining up to pick up the eggs and once known, we camped out around 4PM. We were the sixth car in line and once they opened the gates at 6PM we started moving up. I think we were completely loaded and heading back to Suwanee around 6:30. When we left I did notice there was quite a long line of vehicles waiting, as one of the first in line the organization was a little off, but I am hoping they worked through the paperwork a little faster and thus sped up the process.

Maybe others will chime in with their experience.
  • tsheehan7
    Options
    Waited over 2 hours. It was cleaned out though. Probably not worth the $200 I saved.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Time vs money...really?
    Meal looks good!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • tsbrady
    Options
    Mike, is Jennifer with BGE or the distributor in Macon?
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Distributor. Her name is Jennifer Vance. If you need to contact her, here is her email. She was very helpful with the purchase of these two EGGs.

jvance@georgiahearthsales.com
  • tsheehan7
    Options
    Well, when you consider the fact that the "Atlanta" eggtoberfest was a good 50 miles from Atlanta, it felt like a long day after driving 1.5 hours (I live in the northern suburbs) there, walking around eggfest for 4-5 hours, waiting 2 hours in line, and then driving 1.5 hours home.
  • tsbrady
    Options
    Mike, if you come back and look at this thread, thanks for the info!