Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Crust Recipe

Options
frankie482
frankie482 Posts: 263
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need a GOOD pizza crust recipe.

I have tried a few and none seem to be as good as when I buy fresh dough balls from the local pizza shop.

I have a KitchenAid mixer, which I would like to use for the kneading, and would like a recipe not by weight.

I'd like a recipe for regular and thin crust.

Thanks!!

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    This is the one I use. -RP

2 cups hi-gluten flour or bread flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp olive oil
    4 tsp sugar
    1 tsp instant yeast
    3/4 cup water

Put all ingredients in the KA mixer bowl and knead with the dough hook 15 minutes at the lowest speed. Shape into a smooth ball and place into an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap. place the bowl in a warm place and let rise until doubled in size, about an hour. Punch down the dough and put it in the fridge until you are ready to bake.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    This one uses 00 flour. You can get it at an Italian specialty market or a pizzaria. You can stretch it to paper thin and it has those rustic bubbles. Wonderful.

Pizza Crust 00 flour
    Using Antico Molino Caputo Tipo 00 Pizza Flour
    Use Caputo Tipo 00 flour the same way you would use either general purpose, or bread flour, though you will see a number of differences in how it behaves compared with American flours.
    It hydrates very well. You will find yourself adding more water to your dough than you are accustomed. You want to make a moist, almost sticky dough. You can use flour to keep it from sticking to your hands or your work surface.
    It is very silky and soft. You can make great pizza dough without adding olive oil. Experiment with added olive oil, but definitely try it without. If you are used to throwing your pizzas, you will see that the dough needs gentle handling.
    It is very extensible. The flour is selected and milled to be easily shaped into a pizza base. You should not over work the dough. It will spring in the oven. The soft, well-hydrated, extensible dough will puff around the outside rim of the pizza where you do not have sauce.
    And the taste is great.
    Basic Vera Pizza Napoletana Dough Recipe

. 4 cups Molino Caputo Tipo 00 flour
    . 1 ½ cups, plus 2-3 Tbs water
    . 4 tsp salt
    . 1/2 tsp dry active yeast

Mix the dough in a stand mixer, by hand or in a bread machine. If you are using a stand mixer, mix it slowly for two minutes, until you have made a ball. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes, to allow the flour to absorb the water. Then, mix at a middle speed (3 or 4 on a KitchenAid) for 5 minutes, and slow for 2 minutes.
    Shape the dough into a ball, place it in a slightly oiled bowl, cover it with a towel, and let it rise for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, or until double. Punch it down and push out the air bubbles. Form the dough into a large ball, then cut it into 4-5 equal pieces.
    To make your pizza balls, shape each piece of dough into a ball. Gently shape your dough into a ball, then stretch the top of the ball down and around the rest of the ball, until the outer layer wraps around the other side. Pinch the two ends together to make a smooth ball with a tight outer skin. Set your ball seam-side down where it can rest. Dust your pizza balls with flour, and store them under a damp towel, in a proofing tray, or under plastic wrap. This will prevent the outside of the ball from drying out and creating a crust, and becoming difficult to work with. The top of the pizza ball should be soft and silky.
    Your pizza balls will need to rest for about an hour to become soft and elastic, so that they can be easily stretched into a thin crust pizza.
    If you don't need your pizza balls for a few hours, you should refrigerate them, and bring them back out of the refrigerator an hour or so before you want to use them.
    Try making your pizza balls the day before you need them. Overnight refrigeration helps the dough develop more flavor, and a fully developed dough browns better in your oven.
  • Bahmanicious
    Options
    I really like the VPN recipe as well. Have only been able to use King Arthur bread flour, though. Hoping on my next trip to Richmond, VA to find a specialty provider and get some Caputo Tipo 00.

My experience mirrors PattyO in that over night does make a more flavorful crust.
    Best,
    WA
  • frankie482
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!!
  • joeypizza
    Options
    Try to find a wholesale restaurant distributor. Cheney Brothers in Fl allows individuals to purchase on a cash basis. I bought a 50# bag of Caputo 00 for $22.00. shared the flour with friends and family.
  • KenHawk
    KenHawk Posts: 58
    Options
    The wood fired pizza oven guys all use a recipe like PattyO's. I vote for it on the Egg as well!