Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Back Ribs on my EGG

Options
chocdoc
chocdoc Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've never done pork ribs low and slow before - getting them tender involved boiling, then saucing and grilling. So it required a bit of studying to decide how I'd cook them.

Opted for Car Wash Mike's method - skipped the mustard as I didn't have a whole lot in the house.

Probably could have used another 30 minutes or so before the saucing - not quite as tender as I'd like - but I'm pleased for my first try.

Recycled the squash from a previous cook.

5102770071_457677dde3.jpg
DSCN1601 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Comments

• Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    They look great! The squash does too, I'll have to try that....
  • Newby Chickster
    Options
    Looks great Kerry! Those are some nice looking ribs.
  • Cactus Doug
    Options
    When I usually do the CWM method it alwaws seems to take longer than the recipe calls out. You want to look for the meat pulling back on the bones, I usually pull mine off when at least 1/4" of bone is visible. Good luck, your ribs will only get better with practice.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Looks great. I never use mustard anymore. In my thinking part of the mustard is to give the rub a little glue for sticking to the meat....tenderizing...I'm not sure that it is doing much of that. A little vinegar in your spritz would substitute I'd think.

What I do is rinse all meat before applying rub. The residual water on the meat makes the rub stick just fine.

H
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    ChocDoc, the ribs look great. :) I'm sure the next time you make them, they'll be perfect. As Cactus Doug recommended look for the meat to be pulling back from the bone. In addition, you can check with the 'bend test'. You pick up a slab in the center and if the slab bends almost 45 degrees they are ususally tender.

IMG_3275.jpg
  • Newby Chickster
    Options
    Those ribs are making my mouth water, I knew I should have eaten dinner after checking my email n'stuff.

I think I have to stock up with some ribs before I look at the forum again. :)