Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasting Chestnuts

Options
Butch M
Butch M Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I heard the Christmas song that has the famous line “Chestnuts roasting on an open fire”, just before going into the store. In the produce section I saw a bushel of chestnuts. Bought a couple of pounds, but now do not know what to do with them. Has anyone ever roasted chestnuts on the egg? If so, how did you do it, and how did you serve them?
Thank you so much.

Comments

• Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Butch M,[p]They are tasty roasted! First you must cut an x on the bottom of the Chestnut before raosting. I have done them on theBGE yet, but I would probably crank it up to around 400 and use one of those veggie wok's. Just throw them on a direct set up and let sit for a minute or two then shake around and let sit a bit until they split open. You will have to wing it a bit on the time on the EGG.
    To serve just sit around with a pick and a cold beer or a baig snifter of Drambuie, Gand Marinier or Brandy! I think most people either love them or hate them.....[p]Good Luck,Paul

• Butch M
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,
    Thanks Paul, I will let you know how it turns out.
    Butch

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Butch M,[p]Mad Max is missing, ever since he said what he did for the government he has vanished.[p]He does a chestnuts roasting over an indirect fire but at about the temp as MS.[p]Either way sounds great.[p]CWM
  • Butch M,
    There are some chestnut recipes on/at 'buychestnuts.com'.

• The Austrian
    Options
    Butch M,
    Preheat BGE at 350 with pizza stone on grate; slit an X on one side of the chestnuts ,usually the'rounder' part, and a straight slit on the 'flat' side and flat side down on the pizza stone - bout 20 min and they are done - delicious
    TAB

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Butch M,
    i do mine for 20 minutes at 425 degrees dome temp on pizza stone on grid over inverted plate setter (temp is per 'joy of cooking'), with the little 'Xx' cut in them . .. no wood as they absorb smoke pretty easily. .. the smell is fantastic and the taste even better!! . . ..[p]DSCN0647.jpg