Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Questions - Pork Tenderloin and Lump Charcoal

Options
Jimbo
Jimbo Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First, what temperature should I cook the tenderloin to? We did about 167 and the pork seemed a little dry.[p]Second, what brands of lump charcoal do you recommend and do you have a good source for them. I don't mind spending a nominal sum on freight but would prefer free or cheap. I live in the St. Louis area. We researched several lumps on the Naked Whiz's website but couldn't find a local source and, in the case of Wicked Good Charcoal, didn't know whether to buying directly from the company since their website didn't provide an address or phone number.[p]Thanks.

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Jimbo,[p]Based upon my earlier line of questioning, I wouldn't cook it over 150 degrees. Then remove and cover with foil for ten minute before cooking.[p]HTH
  • SouthJerseyGrEGG
    Options
    Jimbo,

I just did a Pork Tenderloin on Saturday! I took it off when the internal temp was 157 and allowed it to sit. While it sat the temp rose to 162 before settling down. It turned out great![p]I used cowboy lump...plain..basic and borring lump! Lowes carries it. I even allowed it to burn a good half hour before putting the tenderloin on. The tenderloin came out great, with no heavy smoke taste which is how we like it. Pork can really soak up the smoke when you allow it to!

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Jimbo,
    Wicked Good Charcoal's web page has a "Contact Us" page and their email is listed there. Give that whirl.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Mark Backer, Why, in heavens name would you cook it, take it off, wrap in foil, and then cook it again? You need to go home and get a cool one, or if you are at home, take a shot of bourbon.;>)

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Jimbo,
    Do a search at Do it Best hardware for your area and call to price Royal Oak lump. sku# 800279.
    I buy it for just under 10 bucks a 20lb bag here in Wisconsin.
    Good Luck
    Bob

[ul][li]royal Oak from do it best hardware[/ul]
  • Dixie_Flyer
    Options
    Jimbo,[p]Suburban Lawn Center on Olive in Chesterfield carries the BGE lump...I imagine that other places in St. Louis that sell BGE's carry it as well...I also saw some Cowboy lump at Schnucks the other day, but it was a small bag
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    sigmore,[p]Sorry. I meant before CARVING.[p]Long day...
  • Central Pork
    Options
    Jimbo,
    I'm interested in trying out some extruded coconut lump from that other manufacturer that begins with a K. I just dont want to take a whole pallet. I live in Cape Girardeau about 1 hr 15 minutes South of St. Louis. If you or any of your friends might be interested in splitting a pallet let me know.

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Jimbo,
    No more than 140 internal...in my opinion. I posted a pic in the Archives on Nov.18, but don't have access to that pic from this computer to show you.....you can look it up. [p]Mike