Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It is not always the flashback you need to watch..

Options
TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It is not always the flashback you need to watch out for. Today when making veggies and a small salmon filet I had a flareup due to the gallon of olive oil I used. That's fine. I shut her down hoping to avoid whiz style fireballs. Well after awhile I opened it, carefully, burping it. But as I opened it all the way the steam/smoke rose and burned thehell out of the underside of my right forearm. I will live but it sucks. Damn James Watt and his steam.

PS excuse any typos. Drinking, wounded and on my Droid using fat fingers

Comments

• TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    [/img]IMG_20101019_190120.jpg[img size=150][/img]
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Dirty, almost shot beer out of my nose laughing when I read this, particularly the part about drinking, wounded and on your Droid using fat fingers - do you have a set of skinny fingers that you use from time to time :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: seriously though that sucks, been there, sucks bad
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Dude, That whole burping thing is a myth. Think about it. You got a fire, deprived of oxygen and ready to explode, so you give it a little, just to get it angry, then you lift the dome to give it everything it wants. The only safe way is to open both vents and let it be for a few seconds, then lift the dome.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree. I mean- it is better to burp than to just yank the lid open, but it is easy to get burned from the heat that shoots out. Open the vents, count to 10, then open the lid slowly.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Well then...
    That makes sense. I can blame that whole DWI thing on a meal I cooked :whistle:
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    Little Steven wrote:
    Dude, That whole burping thing is a myth. Think about it. You got a fire, deprived of oxygen and ready to explode, so you give it a little, just to get it angry, then you lift the dome to give it everything it wants. The only safe way is to open both vents and let it be for a few seconds, then lift the dome.

Steve

Ditto! this is what I do... plus it's really cool watching all the smoke come out the top and bottom!
    context is important :)
  • Cagey
    Cagey Posts: 86
    Options
    I believe it was Mike at the FL minifest that showed me how to open an egg without any worry of being burned by a backdraft or a steam release. After losing most of the hair on my arm on my left arm the other day, I am doing it this way from now on. I thought I was burping the egg correctly but I must not have been doing it right.

Just get yourself a piece of old mop handle about 2 to 2.5 feet long. Stick it under the handle and open the lid using it. Now your hand and arm are safely away from any flash fire or steam that my exit the egg. It has worked great so far. Just as I see all the bottle openers on the egg tables, I would expect this to become a new addition in all the table photos.

Keep on egging.

Cagey
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the steam burned your right forearm, and thereby almost ruined your sex life? hmmmmm. :whistle:

sounds like even if it did ruin your sex life, no one else would know. :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    simply opening the dome a little bit also allows in more air (which is what opening the vents does). this gives the egg a little extra to burn, and clears the runway. it's doing the same thing that opening the vents does

i lift the dome only rarely, when i am suspicious. it's easier (for me ) to simply open it an inch for s second, wait for the chuff, and then open all the way. i find it easier than mucking with the vents, and then needing to reset them
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Heh heh...when I saw the subject line of that one, I thought it was another post about chopping chile peppers. A little capsaicin on the fingertips would result in a louder "You're never touching me again!" than the last 10 minutes of a pregnancy.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    That is why I always wear gloves when I do that! :evil:
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Sorry, but I just keep laughing with this thread....And....... :ohmy:
    I really feel I must ask; during which of the processes do you wear the gloves :whistle::whistle: ?