Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carcoal burns out on lo and slo

Options
Central Pork
Central Pork Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have tried low and slow pork butts a couple times and the end results have been great, however both times I have had to add fuel before the butts were finished. Both times I have started with an immaculate firebox, fresh lump filled to very top of the fire ring. One thing I have done probably wrong is start the fire in the middle about midway down in the lump. Will starting the fire on top of the lump make it burn that much longer?? I have a medium size egg, with a guru if that makes any difference. Been thinking about trying to get my hands on some of that Kamado extruded coconut lump to see if that helps. Anyone ever use any of it? Thanks in advance to all for comments and suggestions........

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    CentralPork,[p]I had that problem the first time. Ever since (at the advice of others) I have filled the Egg with lump to within one inch of the bottom of the plate setter. Then you won't run out.[p]HTH
  • Central Pork
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    You fill it up actually into the firering?
    CP

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    CentralPork,
    On my large, I fill it up halfway up the fire ring (not the firebox, mind you). A low and slow cook will last about 35-40 hours. A medium should be able to do 20-30 hours easy peasy, I would think.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    CentralPork,
    Whoa,
    Thanks to everyone and especially you Mark for asking the question. I ran into that same problem and obviously I was not using enough lump either. Heck did'nt even have the firebox full. I have a small butt in the freezer. Will be experimenting this weekend.

• Central Pork
    Options
    CentralPork,
    Whoops in my original message I stated I filled with charcoal to the top of the fire ring. I should have said fire box....Long day, too much football..:)

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    CentralPork,[p]absolutely. I fill it to within an inch of the top of the fire ring.[p]Does no one else do this?
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    CentralPork, I think your handle is funny. To answer your other question, I have used 5 or 6 boxes of extruded conconut lump, an I really like it. As stated below, you dont need coconut for a low n slow, you just need to fill that thing up more than you did.[p]However, you may want to try coconut, for its other qualities. It has an extremely mild smoke and smokes very little. That's not why I like it.It spreads very slowly, and heats up very slowly(if you want it to). What I like about it is I have not had it go out on me on low 'n slows. It's really hard to light, but really hard to put out once it's going.[p]Scott

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    CentralPork,
    In my experience...using the guru "I" tend to burn more lump, or at least burn more in the same conditions than I would were I not using the guru....As stated in an earlier post, I honestly beleive letting the egg get close to desired temp before installing the guru will help extend burn times on a given load of lump....you`re not force feeding the fire to get up to temps...merely maintaning temps, is my whole reasoning in my belief....HTH[p]Wess

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    CentralPork,[p]I've always started my lo 'n'slo cooks on the top of the lump in the middle. Fire like to burn upward not down. I've always ended all of my cooks with at least a third of the lump I started with.[p]Go take a look at Elder Ward's North Carolina Pulled Pork and take a look at the fire section.
  • Central Pork
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their responses. Next time I'll just load up more and start the fire on top. Thanks again.
    CP

• Central Pork
    Options
    Borders,
    Thanks for the comment about my handle. I used to love the show "Friends", and it is of course a take off on Central Perk........:)