Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Who put the Goo in the Guru?

DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318
edited 1:11PM in EggHead Forum
Today, when I went to set the damper on my Pit Viper, the slide was stuck. There was a thin coating of dried stuff (thinner version of drip pan drippings) on the slide and connecting tube. I was able to force the slide to move and worked it back and forth until it moved somewhat freely. There had been moisture dripping from the fan when I disconnected from my last cook 5 days ago but I thought I cleaned all. Today, there was half a teaspoon or so of moisture in the fan. Doesn't bother me if it won't hurt the fan. Doesn't seem to be the place for WD-40 :ohmy: Anyone else experience this. P.S. wasn't using a water pan either day.
·

Comments

• 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Deckhand, I have had moisture drip out of mine and I usually turn it down so the water will drip out. I think some have said their fan had ice on it in the winter but, I haven't seen that here in middle Tennessee. I don't know about spraying WD-40 on it probably won't hurt anything but, I think I would come closer to using a light film of vegetable oil on the slider (damper). Good luck what ever you do. Tim :)
    ·
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 3,771
    With the Guru design the adapter and fan are the bottom vent.
    Don't know why they did not angle the adapter up to avoid the condensation issue.
    Makes a mess in my storage box as well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,557
    I wonder if a well placed drain hole drilled close to the edge would solve that - though I assume the moisture issue may be more of a problem with you fellows in high humidity areas. Up here I've never noticed the problem. OTOH when it is raining I wrap my blower so that the foil hangs down a good couple inches to avoid sucking water up the hole where the fan draws the air. I believe my 10CFM could suck in water in a heavy rain otherwise.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
    My guess would be, if you have to lube it at all, then I would use food safe spray silicone.
    ·