Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Lodge 8 qt, #12 Dutch Oven question

yankeefanyankeefan Posts: 35
edited 9:34AM in EggHead Forum
Only version I see on Amazon has legs. Anyone have one that can tell me if the legs can fall through a regular grate and fit a large egg (lid closes)?

Thanks,
Howard

Comments

• NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    I have one with the legs, Howard. Same mode, Lodge #12.

Yes it fits easily in a large.

And yes, the legs can be a pain in the rear getting set on a standard great. They don't fit through evenly on a standard grate for me but with a little practice I can get all three of the legs to stand on top of a bar of the grate where it is nice and even.

On my cast iron grate is is no problem at all.

If all I had was the standard grate, it would be easy enough to solve the problem with 3 large washers to act as "feet" for the legs to keep one from slipping through the grate.
    Knoxville, TN
  • RRPRRP Posts: 16,155
    I have that one as well as a regular flat bottom one. I do like and use my legged one when I'm using my plate setter. The air space prevents bottom burning for a nice all around cooking.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • TNmikeTNmike Posts: 643
    Here is a Lodge 9 qt. smooth bottom if you would prefer that instead of one with legs. The one with the legs on a plate setter sounds like a good idea too, never tried it that way. Mike

http://www.katom.com/261-L12DO3.html