Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Lodge 8 qt, #12 Dutch Oven question

yankeefanyankeefan Posts: 35
edited 3:45AM in EggHead Forum
Only version I see on Amazon has legs. Anyone have one that can tell me if the legs can fall through a regular grate and fit a large egg (lid closes)?

Thanks,
Howard

Comments

• NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,271
    I have one with the legs, Howard. Same mode, Lodge #12.

Yes it fits easily in a large.

And yes, the legs can be a pain in the rear getting set on a standard great. They don't fit through evenly on a standard grate for me but with a little practice I can get all three of the legs to stand on top of a bar of the grate where it is nice and even.

On my cast iron grate is is no problem at all.

If all I had was the standard grate, it would be easy enough to solve the problem with 3 large washers to act as "feet" for the legs to keep one from slipping through the grate.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • RRPRRP Posts: 18,937
    I have that one as well as a regular flat bottom one. I do like and use my legged one when I'm using my plate setter. The air space prevents bottom burning for a nice all around cooking.
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • TNmikeTNmike Posts: 643
    Here is a Lodge 9 qt. smooth bottom if you would prefer that instead of one with legs. The one with the legs on a plate setter sounds like a good idea too, never tried it that way. Mike

http://www.katom.com/261-L12DO3.html