Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My 2nd egg small, having medium envy

kilo
kilo Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,
I just bought my 2nd eqq, a small with nest and am having second thoughts on wether it is big enough or not. About how long of a cook can you do on a small, for example 250-300 deg? I doesn't seem there are many accessaries for the small, has anyone found things like pizza stones, grill extenders, methods for indirect heat, etc. I really wanted it for doing potatoes and vegatables, has anyone done both with some sort of second grid (ie veggies added on top of potatoes after they cook for awhile (i am normally cooking for 6). I need some reassurance that the small can handle some of these things or are there options to upgrade to a medium? I live in Iowa and not many dealers in my area. Any ideas?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    kilo,
    I added a small to my two large eggs this past summer. Sure wish there was a platesetter for it (hint, hint). I have purchased a second grid and the 8" deep dish from BGE in Atlanta so I can raise the cooking level a bit. Also use firebricks sometimes to gain some heat deflection. I think the standard setup has the cookin grid too close to the fire. I think someone suggested getting a second fire ring to bring the grid up to a more desireable cooking level. However, where it is now is great for steaks cooked direct.[p]I'm not sure how long the small will go with a full load of lump, but I suspect it wouldn't have any problem doing 6 or so hours. I've used it for veggies, vidalia pie, rolls, burgers, chops, chicken pieces, salmon...well, pretty much anything that will fit on it.

• kilo
    katman,
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Kilo

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    kilo,
    You can see several ways to set up the small in the "tips" section of my website...and see many uses in my "cooks" section.....Dont think of the small as a smaller large egg....it`s a totally different animal..I would never cook a butt in my small and most certainly will never cook a steak in my large..not that these cant be done mind you...with the proximity to the coals in the small you have a lot of different variables..most all are good...use the small an ge used to the differences..you will LOVE the small once you get used to it...HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • kilo,
    You can use the deep dish pizza dish for a ceramic barrier as well as for anything else you might think it is useful for. You can make a raised grid using stainless steel washers, nuts and bolts. And the BGE 12" pizza stone works just fine in the small egg. (I use the 12" stone in the small, the 14" stone in the medium, and a 16" stone I bought from Crate and Barrel in the large.) It leaves enough space around the edges for air to flow and to get a hot fire for pizza. I put mine on the raised grid I made and it works great.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • kilo,
    To each his own, but I think you made the right decision. I have a medium and wish I had gotten a large and a small. What size is your other egg?
    CP

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    katman,[p]I've gone over 16 hours on a full load of lump in the small for pulled pork. It does beautifully.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• kilo
    CentralPork,
    My other egg is a large. Maybe I was premature in having medium envy. What things do you really like about the small?

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    DSCN0242.JPG?dc=4675499109398664151
    <p />kilo, Just this week on my small I did steaks and chicken wings. Like mentioned below, it's the only way to go for steaks, of course until you get a mini![p]Here's a pic of my small bustin a move on a Thanksgiving ham. This is the same setup I use for wings, with the wings over the pie plate for an indirect cook.[p]Enjoy that thing,
    Scott[p]