Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about Beans

Options
Eggscriber
Eggscriber Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi!

I am having people over tomorrow to watch the second Phils game. I am going to make some pulled beef and beans. I thought I would try beans that are dry and uncooked as opposed to the canned ones. I see recipies in which you soak the beans in water for hours, ones in which you boil the beans to cook them, and ones in which you add all of the dry ingredients in a crock and add water as the beans rehydrate. When I was at the Pittsburgh Eggfest, someone made great beans that were not soggy and very good.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I always soak them overnight, drain, rinse and then cover with fresh water. Add some bacon grease and s&p. Cover the DO and cook til done.

I also don't bother with the egg - always on the stovetop. Can't see the point of the egg for this cook since they're covered anyway.

But what do I know? I'm a Yankees fan! hahaha. Halladay makes me nervous.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    What I do; Soak Navy beans overnight in water with a teaspoon of baking soda.
    The next day make baked beans, add all ingredients and bake indirect at 275-300 dome (small bubbling at the sides of the pot) approximately 3 to 4 hours stirring every 20-30 min. I sometimes need to add a little more liquid/sauce to the pot as the beans cook. Beans stay meaty.

I'm going to make white chili tomorrow, soaking overnight first.

Good luck and have fun watchen the game.
  • Eggscriber
    Options
    Thanks for the input.
    I can't wait for tonite's game.
    Seems like the pitcher's duel of the century!
    In any case, the beans will be my challenge!
  • Eggscriber
    Options
    Thanks for the input.
    I can't wait for tonite's game.
    Seems like the pitcher's duel of the century!
    In any case, the beans will be my challenge!