Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Price comparison of online sausage supply sites

Options
Boilermaker Ben
Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I browsed through a couple old threads about sausage supply websites, and then checked out the recommendations. Here are the results.

The four sites I looked at were
www.butcher-packer.com (bp)
www.sausagesource.com (ss)
www.sausagemaker.com (sm)
www.meatprocessingproducts.com (mpp)

Hog casings (32-35mm)
bp: 100 yards - $23.83
ss: 100 yards - $38.84
sm: length unclear, assumed 100 yards - $37.99
mpp: assumed 100 yards - $44.95

curing salt #1 (prague powder#1, instacure#1, DQ#1, etc)
bp: 1lb - $2.50
ss: 1lb - $6.99
sm: 1lb - $9.99
mpp: 1 lb - $18.95

curing salt #2
bp: 1lb - $2.50
ss: 1lb - $10.99
sm: 1lb - $9.99
mpp: 1lb - $24.95

Bactoferm F-RM-52
bp: 25g - $15
ss: does not carry
sm: 25g - $14.99
mpp: 25g - $36.95

Dextrose
bp: 1lb - $1.10
ss: 1cup - $3.84
sm: 1.5 lb - $7.99
mpp: 1.5 lb - $23.95

Now, I know that there are lots of other factors that affect customer satisfaction (shipping fees, timeliness, variety of selection, etc), but it appears that the decision here is a no-brainer, unless butcher-packer turns out to be completely inept. And Meat Processing Products should be arrested for information superhighway robbery. Unless I missed something there, I don't know how their internet business could possibly stay in business.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i had good luck with butcher packer, would be easy to make the decision for me.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Ben, thanks very much for that post. ;) The legwork and time typing the results of your informal survey took some time which will save others here from doing the same exercise. Now that fall is here(sorry stike), I'll be doing more sausage making, bacon and bolognas.

Thanks,

Mark
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    WOW Ben ditto what mark said! thanks for doing all the searching and price comparison for us :) I have bookmark the BP and hope to do an order soon :)we are taking our grinder and mixer and stuffer to FL with us and going to give it a try :)
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Not taking any side of any of the vendors you mentioned..and I, as well as others consider price to be a MAJOR factor...but I can say from experience that not all natural casings are created equal...honestly don't remember the different brands I have used but the ones that are something along the lines of "home pack" have been the most reliable and appealing looking..if ya follow me...as far as casings go I would find one you are happy with, and even if it cost a couple bucks more..it's worth it in the end...appearance...holes...rips..it gets frustrating when you are mid way through a casing and it splits open......I'm sure you will be fine either way.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Good to know, Wess...we'll see what kind of condition the casings are in.