Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

n/m

Options
Egglectic
Egglectic Posts: 95
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum

Comments

• Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    1. Season your steaks with whatever you like best (I like Spicy Montreal by McCormick).
    2. Place the steak in a zip top bag in a large bowl of hot water for an hour or so.
    3. Get egg stable at 500 dome temp
    4. Cook steaks until they reach an internal temp of about 130 for med rare. Flip as necessary to get the amount of char that you want; for me that is typically only about 1 flip, but I pull my steaks at 120.
    5. Rest for about 10 min before slicing
  • Jolly Bill Barker
    Options
    You can always sear them with your broiler and then put them on the egg with a dome temp of 400. I really like McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning. Use a thermometer and pull them off according to that for doneness. This is pretty fool proof and you won't have to worry about wrecking dinner.

If you use the McCormicks put it on after the sear and go lightly. I little goes a long way. It is not a rub.

Good Luck.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I cookem like you would on a weber probably. Around 450 for 3 minutes then flip...3 minutes and flip.... do the previous two steps again rotating the steak 90 degrees. I then check temps and move the steaks to the non flaming areas to get them away from the direct flames and shut the vents and then guestimate how long to leave them to finish them to where folks like them. More medium than medium rare in this family.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Not sure what accessories you have but here is a suggestion.

You don't need to take the dome to extremely hot temperatures.

With the thickness you stated a hot sear will probably cook the inside to medium rare to medium.

load the lump to about 1 to 2 inchs below the fire box. Remove the fire ring and light the lump in 4 to 5 spots. 3, 6, 9 & 12 o'clock as well as center. Light down into the lump about 1 to 1.5 inches. When the lump is light well set your vents for 350°. Put the grate on the fire box and let it get hot. If you see a good bed of red lump your temperature there will be about 800° if the lump is a orangishy lava look color the temperature will be close to 1000° and the dome will be at 350°.

Put the steaks on the grate for 60 sec. (with the thickness you stated above). Turn the steaks over and go another 60 seconds on the second side.

You cook should be done. If you need the meat more done then remove the grate & steaks. put the fire ring back into the egg then the grid and the meat. You should be able to roast the meat to your desired temperature.

You can also make your own raised grid with some bolts or fire brick.

GG

GG
  • asianflava
    Options
    This is my method, your mileage may vary.

1)Set them out so they get to room temp.
    2)Coat with olive oil
    3)Coat with Montreal Steak seasoning
    4)Heat egg to 500degree dome temp
    5)Cook for 3-4min/side flip once with tongs
    6)Let steaks rest for ~5min before serving
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    Cory430 wrote:
    ... 2. Place the steak in a zip top bag in a large bowl of hot water for an hour or so. ...

what does this accomplish?
    context is important :)
  • Egglectic
    Egglectic Posts: 95
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • Jolly Bill Barker
    Options
    Whoa wait a minuet. So what did you end up doing? We need your successful feedback.