Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini setups?

Options
Smokin' not stirred
Smokin' not stirred Posts: 301
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys and ladies. Just got a mini for my birthday to go with my large. I was wondering what different set-ups people have used or man/woman-made toys have been created for different cooks. I check out all of the cooks that were still available in the search field and you all have talked me into keeping it. I was contemplating exchanging it in for a small but I think the mini will travel better. Thanks in advance for your help...some great mini cooks out there. J.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Keep the Mini (get the small later).
    I keep this on the mini all except when doing very hot and very fast.
    this works for spatchcocked chicken (whole) or ????.
    photo-9-1.jpg
    Get the mini adj rig from Tom and get the pizza rounds from Amazon.
    miniegg_003.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    While it's not a "set-up" its still pretty cool....my homemade spring hinge for my mini..more pics can be seen in the "tips" section of my website....

left.jpg
  • Wazoo
    Wazoo Posts: 150
    Options
    Did a small brisket on the mini a few months back. Took out the fire ring. Put the mini-grid on top of the fire box full of smaller "lumpetts" of charcoal. Put a small pizza stone on top of the grid for the offset. Put a 9" pie-pan on the stone for the drippings, and put a spare mini grid right on top of the pie-pan. It all held up great, and the brisket was done in two hours at 300-320 degrees. Tasted great, albeit all was consumed in one meal... Nearly all of the charcoal was consumed in the cook.

100_1022.jpg
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    For indirect I take a pizza screen and cover it with foil. Works well for many cooks.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have a mini and a small and personally I would return the mini if I didn't have the small already. I take the small camping and it really isn't that heavy once you empty everything out of it. I do plan on getting the Woo and a small pizza stone for indirect cooks on the mini.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I wanted either a mini or a small, I got a mini and it turned out to be perfect for my needs! It's much easier to move and transport (especially with a full trunk).

I just fired up the mini tonight to cook some chourizo i had thawed out but not used. Just have it on the deck outside the kitchen door. In fact, in the winter I do most of my cooks on the mini because of the location. My LBGE is about 50 feet away and when it's cold and snowing or raining, it's much easier being able to pop in and out the back door.

the mini woo hadn't been invented yet when I got my Mini so I bought an extra grid with it and made a raised grid. This provides a lot of flexibility for cooking. I typically do indirects by making a foil boat and putting it on the bottom grid while cooking the food on the top grid.
    IMG_3402.jpg
    I think you can see everything in this picture. When cooking Pizza, I use two 8" stones, wrap one in HD foil and set it on the grid, place 3 flat stone on it and set the pizza stone on them. then I cook the pizza at about 450 (on the LBGE I cook em at 550, just did them different on the little guy.)
    IMG_2381.jpg

The Mini woo looks like a great setup and I probably would've got one if they had them back then.

good luck and have fun!
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I bought a second fire ring for my raised grid and really like it:

0dc23c4a.jpg

This raises my cooking surface another 3 inches or so, and puts my food about 7" above the lump. I use this on almost every cook I do in the mini, which is about 3-4 days a week.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Looks like your bands need adjusting...
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Here's a raised grid and platesetter made from my pals busted sm ps. The last picture is of my small portable jobbie, that inverts to a raised table if needed. I have one for the mini, just can't find the pics.

c7af6a46.jpg
    7fda927e.jpg
    OZEgg1d.jpg
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    miniincart.jpg

Cart from Target on clearance for $18.
    Shelf rated for 90#
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap