Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It wasn't the prettiest bird but it was yum!

Options
RGBHV
RGBHV Posts: 1,318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Prepped ala Mad Max...

DSC01707.jpg

DSC01705.jpg

Added some nice thick bacon - I had to move it around during the cook to try and even up the browning - that didn't work so well. Browning was uneven.

DSC01710.jpg

DSC01708.jpg

DSC01711.jpg

Not only was it Cdn Thanksgiving, but it was also my daughter's birthday. Check out this ice cream cake. (pretty cool)

DSC01714.jpg

Happy Cdn Thanksgiving everyone!

Michael

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    what did you have laying over the top of it?

i guess as long as it tasted good, thats what counts the most?!

did you make gravy?
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    I actually made quite a few mistakes with this cook.

I sliced up some thick bacon and put it on top. The result being like foiling parts of the bird.

When I basted after the first hour I lifted the bacon and said - oh no! I tried to move the bacon around to the darker pieces but I wasn't able to even out the browning.

The other problem I experienced (and I kick myself for this) I experienced some problems yesterday with a rib cook. I chalked it up to taking a cat nap during the first hour. It seems that was only part of the problem.

I now know that my thermometer wasn't calibrated properly. When I basted the Turkey, (in addition to the uneven browning), I noticed that the wings were charred. I inserted another thermometer and found a 50 degree difference in the dome temp. So I checked the thermometer and sure enough I had to recalibrate it. Dah!

I did make the gravy - and yes it was a hit!

At the end of the day - the bird was kinda ugly - but I recovered and everything tasted great.

So, it wasn't the method, it was the cook.

Every year we do Turkey Wars (1 bird on the egg, 1 on the weber and 1 in the oven). This year, schedules didn't work out so Turkey Wars has been postponed until Christmas.

I will have to redeem myself then!

Michael