Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you serve on pulled pork sandwiches?

Options
Hawg Fan
Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I stopped by a BBQ joint in Winnsboro, Texas, the other day and ordered a pulled pork sandwich. The owner served me and said "I usually serve sweet relish on pulled pork, want to try it." I did and it was really good. What do you usually serve on pulled pork? I usually just add my favorite BBQ sauce and sometimes slaw, but I bought some red sweet relish the other day and I'm planning on serving it on the pork butt I'm cooking now.

DSC00052.jpg

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I learned from Leroy to use cole slaw and it works for me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    It's usually BBQ sauce for me too. I recognize the brand of the pepper relish. I've not tried the relish, but they also make jams, jellies, pickles - tons of good stuff. I've had bread and butter pickles - better than any I've ever made. Also they make pickled asparagus that is great! The produce stand where I shop carries a lot of it. (Oh, almost forgot they make cheese, butter, and candy too)....Love it. :P
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    elzbth, this is the first time that I've tried Amish Wedding products, but the local specialty store carries a full line on their products. I'll have to check out the pickles and cheese. Thanks for the recommendation.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I used to be "just meat" but became a slaw topper when I moved to Tennessee.

I did once use "chow chow" to top a pulled pork sandwich and it is like a relish.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Relish? On pork barbecue? No thanks. Vinegar sauce and cole slaw, please.

If you want to ask a question about BEEF, ask a Texan. Otherwise, leave them alone. :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Here's an idea...how bout mixing some of that relish in some homemade slaw. Bam!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Brokersmoker
    Options
    I'm a relative novice at serving pulled pork, but I let everyone fix their own. I however love it with cole slaw and a little bit of BBQ sauce mmmm :cheer:
  • ddmax
    ddmax Posts: 45
    Options
    I usually use BBQ sauce and sometimes slaw.

From time to time I mix up a mango habanero "relish" that is fantastic.
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    I use a NC vinegar based sauce, sliced pickles and slaw. This isn't a requirement but I like it this way.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Slaw, of course! :laugh:
    The Naked Whiz
  • kmellecker
    Options
    Vinegar based sauce on the very spicy side, slaw and a nice slice of red onion.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options