Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peppermonkey Burger

Pepper Monkey BBQ
Pepper Monkey BBQ Posts: 652
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We were fortunate enough to find the time to compete in the Keystone Classic KCBS BBQ Competition this past weekend. To mix things up they had a 'best burger' contest on Friday night. We concocted this burger on a whim and it ended up 7th overall out of 45. Sorry no cooking pics, but I promise all we had with us were our eggs.

This was only our 2nd KCBS competition and we got our first 'call' with our ribs ... it was only 9th place, but out of 45 teams we were pleased!

Burger is regular hamburger with a coffee/pepper rub mixed in (our brisket rub). I smoked it at low temp for about 8 minutes then finished with a sear on a hot egg. It was topped with a goat/cheddar cheese, thick cut bacon, and the buns had a stone ground mustard, mayo, chives and basil sauce.

Came out very tasty!

DSC_0231.jpg

Plated in true Peppermonkey fashion!

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Looks like a burger I'd like to tear into! Congrats on the stage call, Hopefully, the first of many.
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Sounds like a very tasty burger, indeed! The rolls look awesome too. Is your brisket rub something that you can share? I love the coffee infused rubs.
  • PM;
    Looks awesome and nice job on the call! Can you shed some light on the coffee / pepper rub?

I had a steak with a coffee rub that was outstanding... no details were provided.

I have done some digging on the web but nothing solid.

Any help would be great;
    CVD
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    It looks purty, at least the bun,lettuce and maters do!That's all I can see! ;) :laugh: Just funnin! B)
  • Great presentation on the burger. Congrats.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Of course I can share! No secrets here. Brisket rub is actually derived from a steak rub we use with fillet mignon. Is it unfair to compare the two??? Anyway, I go about a half cup whole peppercorns, half cup coffee beans, a third cup kosher salt. That's the base then I experiment with adding in a few tablespoons of other ground spices ... simplest being two tablespoons of both granulated garlic and onion powder. Toss it all in a grinder on a medium setting and that's it.

JM
  • I hear ya Hoss! That was my thought too. Had the buns because they were delicious, then they provided us with the meat which we could not add any other ground meat to. We were able to make the burgers the size of the bun and still have good thickness ... bun shrinkage occured. On top of that they wouldn't let us cut them in half to present them ... oh well ..... can't win 'em all!

JM
  • I am far from an expert on rubs compared to other forum members ... but I do make all of our rubs just because I enjoy the learning process. I actually put coffee into every rub I make. Even my hot wing rub. I've found with thick cuts of meat it can take a pretty heavy amount and do ok, but poultry I go a litte bit lighter on the coffee. I posted what I use on bigger cuts of meat in this thread. I just realized I haven't used it on any fish rubs ... Hmmmmmmmmm ... back to the drawing board!

JM
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    They still look purty! ;)