Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Orgasmic Flea Mange

Options
yaB
yaB Posts: 137
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, that's what my adolescent step-nephew took great pleasure in calling it, but the Eberly "organic free-range" turkey we roasted today may just be the best I've ever had in 30+ years of Thanksgivings where I've had something to do with what shows up on the table.[p]Although I'd never heard of it before a few weeks ago, I now know that Eberly poultry comes from Amish farms in PA. Beyond the basic honesty of the people who produce the poultry, it is certified by state and federal agencies to be what the label says it is. These turkeys cost more than the factory-produced birds, but I'm thinking that they're worth it. The turkey was just delicious.[p]We had very gusty high winds today, and keeping a constant temp was much more of a chore than usual. Maybe because of that, or perhaps because the bird was "skinnier" than the average Butterball, the meat temp got away from me in the end. The thigh meat wound up at 190° on one side and 195° on the other. I think that because I followed Mad Max's breast icing suggestions, the white meat finished up more in range, but still a bit high.[p]In any case both white and dark meat were moist and exceptionally tasty. The bird weighed in at 14.5 lbs., but the drumsticks were much more substantial than I would have expected for that size turkey. One of these plus a "taste" of breast meat and some crispy skin was plenty for me. The nephew got the other drumstick, and I think I heard him actually say "organic free range" after dinner, so all is well...[p]Bob

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    yaB,
    Next year you should step up to a heritage bird. I did one this year and I also did a regular turkey just in case people weren't gonna like the heritage "real" flavor. Everyone was scraping the meat off the bones and that was the carcass they all went back to to pick at.[p]It was an amazing meal.[p]Glad to hear you had a great T-day also.

• yaB
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    Next year? Hey, the "real" holidays are coming up. Where can I see about getting one of these "heritage" turkeys? Never heard of them before your postings. Thanks.[p]Bob

• yaB
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    I did a quick bit of Googling on heritage turkeys, and now understand what you're talking about. Where did you get yours?[p]Bob

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    yaB,
    I got mine from Townline Farms in PA, I have for the past few years and they are great and have an excellent product. Unfortunately they are sold out for 2004, but I'm sure if you e-mailed or called them they could point toward one of their friends in the business that might be able to hook you up.[p]Here's the link
    http://www.townlinefarm.com/

[ul][li]Town Line Farms[/ul]