Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

American Heritage Turkey #2

Options
Nessmuk
Nessmuk Posts: 251
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put the 12.4 pound bird on the BGE @10am. I cooked it indirect with a pizza stone & a pizza stone on the grid. I used a Spanek with a base that held fluid. I filled it with water. Internal breast temp was 35. Patio temp was 17. Grid temp was 284 with the dome temp of 250. I set the butterfly to full open & controlled the temp with the sliding door.[p]At 2p the polder breast temp was 165. Removed the wings & legs for ease of wrapping in film 905. Placed it in a styrofoam container for holdiing. The legs took another 30 minutes to cook to 180.[p]After 30 minutes, I sliced it. It had a smoke ring & was weeping moisture. Perfect, according to the family & guests.[p]Did nothing to the bird except spritz it with olive oil & apple juice each hour. [p]I used sassafras wood as we do in Pennsylvania.[p]