Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

COOKING ALERT IRON CHEF BGE

Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It is on now!!!Food channel!

Comments

• Awesome! They may be great chefs, but they seem egg clueless ;-).
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Horrible premise for a show.

Saw food going down at 10 minutes into cook (and heating of XL eggs) with two flames from lighter cubes being only lit component of charcoal!!!

How did BGE let this go down!?! No compliment here.

Would have suggested that each egg be heated to 400 F direct prior to the 1 hour cook.

Edit at end of show: Wow, not one egg used as an egg is designed. Chefs complaining of heat control, burning. Many eggs shown with food cooking over black charcoal. Someone is getting a phone call from the mother ship in the AM. VERY dissapointing we were not better represented! Listening to chef comments now.
  • Redmono
    Redmono Posts: 34
    I'll take those guys on!!! It's not that hard to cook on a BGE!!!!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    No kidding! They give 'em an hour and the eggs are stone cold at the start? Someone who knew something about the egg should have been involved with this. I hope something turns out to be edible!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Richard Fl
    How do you take a piglet and cold BGE and have a meal ready in such a short time?? Magic of TV???
  • LFGEnergy
    My response, after a whole 10 minutes of cooking on my now heated XL egg, I put it on a bun in a to-go bag for you to eat on the way home!!!

Wow, really?!?!?!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    There are HUNDREDS of cooks that would show hin how to REALLY COOK/Grill!!! B)
  • Any one else catch the line, " a beach covered with new fangled cooking devices"? LOL I guess 2000 years is new!!
    I will give them that it would be very difficult to get an egg up to proper cooking/ grilling temp & cook a meal in one hour. As someone else posted, that was not thought out very well.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    I just came from the American Royal BBQ and there 500 teams there that knew when to light a fire and how to control the temperature. Half a dozen of them were cooking on eggs too. (Sorry I missed you Larry).
  • It is HUGE that those chefs got to cook on the beach with that unidentified "cooking vessel". Same advantage to all of them, you either know how to cook stuff on it, or you don't!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    I have to say I find it rather ironic to read some of the posts in this thread, when I can look back and read some of the 'how do I' posts of late from some here. Considering the 'learning curve' pretty much most of us acknowledge, I think the Chefs did a great job, and put out some pretty amazing and creative dishes given the circumstances. Yep, there were a lot of skillets used for sure, but did anybody tell them they were going to be in a Grilling challenge? No, it was a "desert island" challenge. In their defense, who woudda thunk it?? If they had a few weeks to lurk on this forum like many here have, prior to being thrown onto that beach blind, I think they would have blown EVERYbodys mind. So, kudos to the Chefs for pulling it off. ;) And I certainly wouldn't blame BGE, I am sure they did as much as they were permitted by the writers of the show, JMO.
  • Do you still feel the same now after you seeing their food or are you just a great chef. Or you just don't know what your talking about.
  • LFGEnergy
    Sarcastic??? Cooking with an unknown cooking vessel is not like getting a different meat, spice or vegetable to explore in a 1 hour timeframe. Example....I have friends that look at me cross-eyed when I talk about my cooking with a pressure cooker (remember those things our grandma's used - I Love them!?!/!?) Would someone that used a pressure cooker to saute a duck breast be considered a great chef and master of the cooking method (or a really good improvising chef)?

Same thing? Kind of. But knowing (or not knowing) how to get an XL to temperature and then finishing a meal in 1 hour (in some form realative to the design of the intended use of the cooking instrument) is not a demonstration of cooking skill or creativity....and beyond me as a 2 year newbie. IMHO.....

Little Chef, I agree! Getting a meal done in 1 hour on a cold XL is a great accomplishment, and the cuts on their dishes (i.e., pork slivers that could be cooked in minutes, not hours) demonstrated how little time they had to cook. My posts are not aimed at the chefs or their methods to meet the challenge, but how the eggs are portrayed in the show, which I will maintain is less than favorable.

Thanks again to all (especially to Little Chef for the rapid chicken cooling method) from one of those asking questions in the forum.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    You may very well be right.I did not watch it.I know when I first got my Egg I screwed up a TON of groceries.I still say there are a lotta cooks on here that can put Flay to shame! B)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    No argument from me, Michelle. They did well... considering. But there IS a learning curve! Imagine what they could have done if they knew how to use their cooker! Most of 'em probably have a gasser at home! :) They should have at least had someone light it an hour before! All things considered, it just didn't seem to be the best "commercial" for the egg. Hmm, I don't even recall that they even identified them as eggs. Might have missed it though.

Felt sorry for the ones who had whole pigs! With the judges complaining that they only got two bites of pork! hahaha.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ok, just watched it, the whole thing - no mention of the egg!! Just the cooking vessel.

If you are a chef, cooking in a restaurant on a hot stove, or whatever, you should be able to cook on a preheated egg (which I assume they were) and present a food item after 1 hour.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Little Chef
    Faith: Totally agreed, there was no mention of "Big Green Egg". Alton Brown called them 'Heat delivery devices' if I remember correctly? :blink: One Chef called them 'new fangled' which I thought was hysterical!

Also, the absolute best I can determine, each Chef lit their own Egg DURing the cook time of one hour. :blink: They each had starter cubes, and I did hear a lot of "light! c'mon light!" :laugh:
  • Richard Fl
    I wrote down "heat producing devices". Still think it was a very poor representation for the ability of BGE.
  • Little Chef
    Agreed the BGE could certainly have been presented better. I hope BGE didn't have to pay for the spot.
  • I agree with all of the posts -- for first time users, these chefs did ok with what they produced. And not a very good advertisement for BGE but I am sure there were viewers who will check further to find out just what those "new fangled heating devices" are. As for me, waiting for delivery of my first large BGE on Thursday -- can't wait!!!!

Paul Flemming
    Northern Nevada
  • Little Chef
    Hoss: I must agree with you 199.99%!!!! :laugh:
  • Little Chef
    Michael: In the process of watching it again, and as I said to Florida Grillin Girl, I still have not caught the words "Big Green Egg". Definately a bit unfortunate for BGE exposure. I would love to know what the 'deal' was, in so much as, did BGE have to pay for the spot? Did BGE get to have any input? Or truly, did some writer just have a wild night, and decide to line it up with BGE's? Hopefully we will hear the whole story at some point! :)

And with all due respect, you ask for pig, serve pig! Not clams and prawns... :silly: Eight bites served...c'mon! :laugh:

Take care, and our best to you as always. B)
  • Little Chef
    Dave: Didn't for a moment take your comments as directed at the Chefs, no worries. :) Though it is only the way I percieve it, I saw the whole lighting exercise rather comical, and a true testiment to the fact the Chefs were not familiar with the equipment. As I have said elsewhere in this thread, now that the secret is out, I hope we can hear "the rest of the story" from BGE. :laugh:
    Also, I just want to make sure you understand, the 'rapid chilling of chicken' is not a method that I dreamed up. :whistle: It is truly an industry standard for foods that have to be held longer than is logically safe. In banquet work especially, foods can't be produced for 1000 or more people 'a la minute'. They are cooked the day before, rapidly chilled, and reheated for the event. If keeps everybody healthy, and maintains the integrity of the food. The method applies to nearly all foods containing moisture BTW, especially proteins, starches, veg and dairy. Once you understand the technique, which obviously you do, you can apply it pretty much accross the board when prepping for parties. Rapid chill is the key, then reheat. :) And thanks for the kind words!

Be well! And happy eggin!! ;)
  • michelle, i agree with you. . they had one hour from start to finish, including lighting and warming up the grill...those people had never even seen a BGE before, and they didn't have a clue about how to fire one up, control temps, what its true capabilities are, etc. ...didn't look like they had plate setters or any of that sort of thing. ...so it was just, "grill away"....they were able to make multiple items all at once.. ..i thought they did quite well myself ...

what could any of us have done given only one hour from cold egg to plated dish?!!! this is why these people are trained chefs, and we are just cooks ....
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    I really believe it was edited, and that lighting of the fire starters never happened during the competition. You wouldn't be able to roast a marshmallow in an XL with such little time. This is television, entertainment. They had a clip of lighting the egg and stuck it in at the end. That's all.
  • I agree with you, PattyO. It's all in the editing.
    I DVR'd it and will watch it again, but doubt if I will be able to tell if the eggs were pre-lit or not. It was cool to see all of the eggs on the beach like that. Now there are 10 XL demo eggs for sale somewhere in California!

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    LC,

In the Webber world they all live in, it's amazing to see an egg (let alone 8-10) almost featured in the show. I just can't believe they gave them 60 minutes with a cold egg and starter cubes. That's like torture for a greenhorn.

Considering, they did very well indeed.
  • Baby j
    Baby j Posts: 148
    Did I miss them saying Big Green Egg??? The only thing I heard them call them was "this vessel".

baby j