Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami goodness

Options
Fluffyb
Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Took the last of our corned beef from St. Patty's Day out of the freezer this week. Followed Thirdeye's method & recipe. Soaked it for about 36 hours, changing the water every 12 hours.

011-23.jpg

The rub
013-17.jpg

Egg doing it's thing.
014-12.jpg

The braise
015-12.jpg

Finished! Taking it to a party tonight on cocktail sandwiches.
016-10.jpg

018-7.jpg

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Teresa, that is GREAT looking pastrami!!! I gotta try that!.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Teresa this is got to be one of the best pastramis I've ever seen must try it!!
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    Hope you enjoy it, I sure do. Looks very nice.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Teresa, your pastrami looks delicious. :) That sure would be nice to serve during a football game!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Gosh, does that look friggin delish Teresa!
    Nice job on that cook!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Lovenbrau
    Lovenbrau Posts: 307
    Options
    That looks amazing!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    That definately puts the P in pastrami! Good color and it looks nice and juicy too. About how long, did you braise it? And was it braised in the Egg, stovetop or oven (if so what temp)?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind comments. It came out great and disappeared almost immediately at the party. Not a scrap left.

I didn't take pics on the egg, but yes, it was braised in a dutch oven on the egg at 325 w/half a beer & chicken broth. I smoked it until 156 internal, then braised it until 174. It cut like buttuh.

Thirdeye, thank you so much for spot on direction and recipe. It was nice and peppery. And really, such an easy cook with a low cost cut of meat.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    2 words...

yu...mmmy!
    context is important :)
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    That looks very good. I have only done one and it tasted pretty darn good.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney