Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our Turkey

Options
Boccie
Boccie Posts: 186
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We used a 14.26 pound Purdue Fresh Young Turkey. Never frozen, nor injected.[p]Stuffed the cavity with an onion quartered, and one medium apple halved and not peeled.[p]Rubbed the bird down with oil and generously seasoned with Lawrys “Perfect Blend Seasoning and Rub” for chicken and poultry.[p]The grill setup was an inverted plate setter with grid on top. Plate setter used as a heat barrier. The turkey sat in a disposable pan on a small broiler pan to keep it out of the juices. Placed chicken broth in the pan for basting etc.[p]Grill was 325°. The lump filled full and I used hickory and pecan for the smoke.[p]I basted every hour for the first two hours then every half hour. Total cooking time was 3hrs and 40 minutes.[p]We followed Max’s suggestion and placed an ice bag on the breast for 20 minutes before putting the bird on the grill.[p]I’ll post later on the final results. We are on our way to my mothers for the dinner now so I haven’t had a chance to cut into it yet. I am sure it’ll be great.[p]If not I’ll lie and blame the bad meal on the side dishes. :-)[p]Boccie[p]Setup:
setup.jpg[p]OnGrill:
ongrill.jpg[p]Done:
done.jpg