Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat for first pizza

Options
AnnaG
AnnaG Posts: 1,104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have the pre-made crust (be nice, first one and not ready to make dough yet), pizza sauce and cheese. I need ideas for the meat on the pizza. (I have done frozen pizzas on the egg, but never made one before.)

What meat do you recommend and do you pre-cook it on the egg before hand? Example: do you brown your hamburger meat on the egg first? :)

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Yes, pre cook. It'll be the best you've ever tasted!! Good luck!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Personal favs are italian sausage and pepperoni, I also like bacon, and hamburger is good to. my wife likes egged chicken breast on her pizza sometimes
    yes, I lightly brown the uncooked meats.
    Go crazy, have fun with it, i'll be good!!!
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I normally only use peperoni. I would precook.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    By far my favorite is pepperoni. Italian sausage is good. If using bacon, it can be over powering in regards to taking over the flavor. Any left over meat can be sliced/diced and used a topping.

Shrimp is also great and well as smoked clams. If I use shrimp, I limit other topping as the flavor of the shrimp will be lost. Shrimp can go on raw as they will fully cook on the pizza.

Making pizza is great. Not only do children love to eat it, they will be right there helping to make it. It's one of foods they can customize. It's also inexpensive if you by the flour, canned tomato sauce, and cheezes when on sale. If you get to the point of making your own dough, then something like a Kichen Aid mixer will be your best friend.
  • Lovenbrau
    Lovenbrau Posts: 307
    Options
    I have been microwaving pepperoni in paper towels for 15 sec to render some fat prior to pizza. Sausage and ground beef should at least be partially cooked. Good luck, you will love pizza from the egg!
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Thanks ya'll... Will give it a shot on Sunday. :)
  • Deggman
    Deggman Posts: 56
    Options
    Lastnight we did four pies, The favorite was Prosciutto, mushrooms (sauteed in evoo, white wine and garlic) and green bellpepper, it was GOOD! I also like sausage, I like to use the jimmy dean that comes in a tube, and you can totally cook it on a skillet on the egg before you start your pizza! As far as making homemade dough (which is the best!) try to find some premade pizza dough balls at the store. I like the one from trader joes, but Fresh&Easy's is(TESCO) is not bad either. And remember when it comes to toppings less is always more! I mean you can put however many different toppings on as you would like but keep the volume to a minimum, you will have better results!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Pepperoni would be my choice..