Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To baste or not to Baste

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You know the rest of the question.[p]Opinions anyone?

Comments

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    Luvspbnj,
    Basting adds flavor and usually color to whatever it is that's being basted. In the case of turkey, it helps to keep the skin moist while it's cooking and may add some moisture to the breast meat as well. If you use butter and/or pan drippings, it can help the skin brown and crisp up and give it more flavor. If you're going to use the pan drippings for gravy, it can add flavor to them as well as the basting solution drips back into the pan.[p]Basting also gives the cook something to do while the turkey is roasting, and gives anyone standing around additional reason to put up with their hunger pangs until the bird is done to perfection. [p]If you decide to baste, keep track of how much time you're spending with the Egg's lid up. If you take too much time (the technical term is dawdle), temperature control can be a bear.[p]Bob
    (also partial to pbnj)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    Luvspbnj,
    definetely baste. put some low sodium chicken broth in the drip pan and pour wine on the bird at the begining of the cook and baste every 20 minutes. the chicken stock will pickup the turkey flavor. and you will be able to make tons of gravey

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Luvspbnj,[p]Count me in with the basting crowd. I believe that it makes a HUGE difference, especially for browning and crisping the bird.[p]Take a look at my last turkey (click the thumbnail to see the full pic)...[p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]Tonia's Turkey[/ul]
  • QBabe,[p]Your photos album of your BGE cooks is the
    best I have ever seen. I thought I could
    cook, (with the assistance of the BGE), but
    you are are definately a notch (or two) above.[p]Happy cooking !

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Patrick in GA,[p]Thanks. I haven't really kept the website (or pics) as up to date as I'd like, but it's a start...[p]Happy Turkey Day,
    Tonia
    :~)