Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for AZRP on The Chicken

Options
BGE Convert
BGE Convert Posts: 127
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
AZRP, I saw the thread below on the chicken recipe and the pictures there as well as the naked whiz have me sold. It is only a matter of time till I make that dish. My question is whether or not you have (or could) ever substituted butter for the vegetable oil? Let me know your thoughts on that and the impact to your recipe.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I can't think of any reason you couldn't use butter, it will change the flavor profile somewhat as vegetable oil is pretty much flavorless and everything is better with butter. Be sure to post your results. -RP
  • BGE Convert
    Options
    I will let you know about whether or not the use of better enriches your "The Chicken" recipe.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    I do "The Chicken" a LOT. Love it! As a matter of fact, I have the chicken for it on the egg as we speak ;) I'm just using legs today because they were on sale. I guess I could substitute butter for the oil and give you my opinion.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Ok, I did it. I made "The Chicken" with butter instead of the oil. I used the legs I got on sale today. Here's the proof.

100_0271.jpg

My opinion? I couldn't tell much difference at all. If anything, it gave it a slightly "funny" taste. I prefer the original recipe. It was still good, though! :P