Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

20lb Turkey?

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Will she fit on my large with an indirect set up using my plate setter?
I don't think I've done a bird this big before.....[p]Thanks and hello to all.... It's been a crazy 4th quarter!!!

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Wardster,
    you need to scroll down to my 11:56 am post from sunday (11/21) entitled TURKEY ROASTING PAN TEST FIT to see how i'm getting my 21 pounder in the egg. .. .hopefully i have the link here, but if not. ..scroll on down for pictures and description. .

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/messages/160682.shtml[/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    dang, i did it. . .what a genius i am. . . .
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    for our annual T-day luncheon here at work and it fit just fine, Billy. I used the plate setter with a drip pan and a V-rack sitting on the regular grid. I did have to move the Egg thermometer up to one of the daisy wheel holes, but it worked just fine. It took exactly 4 hours at ~325°[p]Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!![p]Jim
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    JSlot,
    good to see your smiling posts . .. .figured you had gone into hiding somewhere with your upcoming nuptials and all. . .remind me when the big day and time is (can't remember if its tomorrow or thursday). .. want to make sure everybody tips a glass to you at the appropriate time. . .[p]best[p]max

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    mad max bHiya, Max! I got your e-mail at the house last night, but I didn't have time to respond. Thanks for your thoughts! The big day was supposed to be tomorrow, but Mary's brother had some work issues and won't make it here for Thanksgiving, so we moved the date to either the second or third weekend in December. I'll keep you posted. I miss having the time to banter with you guys, but I hope to get caught up soon!!!!!!!!! Then...........I'LL BE BACK!!! LOL.[p]Jimeyond eggdome,

• ScottinKC
    Options
    JSlot,[p]As a first time turkey cooker, I'm a bit confused by the wide variance of cooking times for similar sized birds. Mine is also 22 #'s, but I had planned on at least 6 hours @ 325......and then you come along with 4 hours.[p]Somebody give me some insight as to why this is????
  • Wardster
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Man, I thought this post was for me. Then I started wondering just HOW long I had been away! Too funny.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Wardster
    Options
    ScottinKC,
    These birds cook much faster on the egg. I'd lean towards JSlot's times.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Wardster
    Options
    JSlot,
    Thanks Jim. I have it fixed. Wife got a free bird for dropping $110 at the store. It was a frozen, solution enhanced monster. I took it back and spoke to the butcher. He swapped it for a fresh Butterball in the 18lb range. I'd much rather have this one.
    Congrats on the upcoming date! Hope all is well and to see you soon.
    Billy

Apollo Beach, FL
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    ScottinKC, the time in the Egg will vary considerably. Even if you are cooking the same size turkey or whatever...the same size turkey cooked at the same temperature may vary in time needed to cook by a big chunk of time. That is why most eggers use thermopens or polder meat thermometers.The meat temp is the key. Look at all the orders for thermopens being posted earlier today on the forum !!With turkey you need to hit a safe temperature, but overcooking leaves the bird dry. The neat thing about the Egg is that food is SOOO much more moist, even if you screw up, you will get a great meal.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Yes! This one was 20 lbs and turned out beautifully![p]Hope you and Michelle are doing well. We're looking forward to seeing you guys at the Florida Eggfest in March...[p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]20 lb Turkey [/ul]