Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Lamb Shoulder Barbacoa

Grub BloggerGrub Blogger Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I thought this would come out where I could shred it and put it on tortillas, but I knew that wouldn't be the case when I brought it up to temp (around 170) and couldn't cook it more. I did a quick youtube search, and from Rick Bayless doing something very similar where he sliced the shoulder and plated similar to what I did. He served the soup on the side, but I ended up simmering mine down with the veggies. The veggies were loaded with lamb flavor, and the remaining sauce was killer drizzled over the lamb. Went with a rolled and tied 3.5 lb boneless lamb shoulder. Marinated in a chile paste I made from scratch (I living in Texas and getting great dried chiles around the corner). Put some onion, carrot, potatos and soaked dry chick peas in the pot under the lamb, which I wrapped in banana leaves. Temperature was harder to control than normal, probably because I was cooking in a rain storm (!), so I was anywhere from 225* to 350*, but probably average of 300*. I used the plate setter. I think I went for 4 hours (I need to get better about cataloging time). Pulled at 170* internal, let rest and simmered down sauce. Really good stuff. Very tender and the marinade made it through.
++
barbacoa%20de%20cordero%20012.JPG
++
barbacoa%20de%20cordero%20020.JPG
++
barbacoa%20de%20cordero%20021.JPG
++
barbacoa%20de%20cordero%20025.JPG
++
barbacoa%20de%20cordero%20026.JPG
++
barbacoa%20de%20cordero%20035.JPG