Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Glaze poring out of lower vent

Options
Maria's Touch
Maria's Touch Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did coho salmon tonight with the honey/maple syrup/bourbon glaze. Prepared it using cedar planks. After cooking, i noticed the glaze coming out of the lower vent. will it burn out or do I have to dismantle everything and clean up the base? :S

Comments

• jball
    jball Posts: 63
    Options
    Not had this experience but I would guess that the ash pit doesn't get anywhere near hot enough to burn it off.
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    How much is in there? I would do my best to clean it up. If you are going to use large amounts of a sauce or glaze that will run off in the future I would use a drip pan.
  • JerseyEgger
    Options
    Give the vent a few licks, that should do it. :laugh:
    I would clean it off just because it would bother me knowing it was there, a place it shouldn't be.
    -Eddie
  • KB
    KB Posts: 144
    Options
    That happened to me last time I made ribs. I cooked pizza (650 deg) the next day and most of it dried up. Don't vacuum it up with your shop vac. I did that once and the inside of the hose became wet and gooey.

I am buying a paella pan ((13-1/2 inches) for my drip pan and, of course, to cook paella. I prefer that to spending $5 each time on a disposable aluminum drip pan.
  • Maria's Touch
    Options
    Thank you all for your info. My llhasa apso dog is small enough that she can go in and lick it off. Kidding aside, I learned my lesson. Next time, I will put in a pan. Ribs on now!!