Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

THAI Caramba!

Options
RU Eggsperienced
RU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,527
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thai Chicken with Rice Noodles last night

(Fresh Lemongrass as well as Thai and minced Jalapeno peppers hence the title)

Was really good...

Thai_Chicken_Stir_Fry-3.jpg

Thai_Chicken_Stir_Fry.jpg

Thai_Chicken_Stir_Fry-2.jpg

Comments

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    that looks awesome. nice cook.
    context is important :)
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Wok and roll!

I love the sound of this dish and the name is hilarious, I wish I'd thought of that. Great job. Do you have the full recipe posted on your web site?
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Hi Chris - No not yet. Actually I have not perfected it to the publishing point. Most Thai Chicken recipes use too much soy sauce + fish sauce making it a bit too salty. Trying to get this measurement down and will add a page to the web site. Stir fry is pretty easy and just get the ingredients you could find. For me the keys are:

A couple minced Fresh Lemongrass stalks (just use the tender white centers and peel off the thick fiberous leafy stuff.

Thai Peppers as many as you can handle I use 4 or so (it couldn't be Thai w/o it).
    Jalepeno (you couldn't say Caramba w/o it).

Bean Sprouts, Water Chestnuts, Snow peas, green onions, garlic, fresh cilantro...

1/4 large red onion minced in soy sauce for chicken marindade. use cubed chicken thighs personally.

Low salt chicken stock and chili paste for noodle sauce ... problem here is most things i've seen use soy and fish sauce too. I do use low salt soy but it can still be salty - this is where I am playing and may cut out some or all of these two.

This is the second time I've made this and this one was really good.. Note Rice noodles are so easy to make much easier than rice. just soak them in hot water for about 10 min, drain then stir fry for 2-3 min. thats it. I'd recommend about 4-6oz of noodles for a 4 person dinner.

Sorry for long response.
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    :woohoo:

Now I just need a good Thai iced tea recipe to go with!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Nice looking dish. I have found over the years that many inexpensive soy sauces have tooo much salt and therefore only use Kikkoman. Here is a sauce/marinade recipe that has evolved over the years and makes for a quick cook, rather than blend many items each time. Fish sauce is an option.

Marinade, Soy, Teriyaki, Sauce, #3, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 Gal. Soy Sauce, Get Kikkoman, others have too much salt
    3/8 Cup Sesame Seeds, White
    2 1/2 Cups Vinegar, 1/2 Balsamic, 1/2 White
    1 1/4 Cups Chili Paste, Red Hot, Korean
    1/2 Cup Pepper, Black, Ground
    1/2 Cup Sugar, Turbindo
    3/8 Cup Garlic, Minced
    1/4-1/2 Cup Olive Oil
    10 Ozs Sweet/Sour Sauce -OR- Sweet Chilli Sauce, Thai
    1/4 Cup Chili Oil
    1/4 Cup Sesame Oil
    1/4 Cup Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
    2-3 Tbs Fine Chopped Fresh Ginger, I used microplane
    1 Lbs. Garlic Chives or Scallions, Sliced Thinly, add at end of cooking.
    1/2 Stick Butter, add at end of cooking (Optional)
    1/2 Cup Fish Sauce (optional)

Procedure:
    1 Mix all except garlic chives/scallions and butter, if using, in a large heavy pot. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook. 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add garlic chives/scallions. cool. Keeps a long time in a container in refrigerator. Over a year. Great as a marinade, substitute for worchestire sauce or a dipping sauce.

Yield: 5 Quarts+1 Cup

Recipe Type
    Marinade

Cooking Tips
    This will wake up your sinuses. For less heat adjust the hot ingredients.

Recipe Source
    Source: Richard Howe, 2010/08/02
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Cool looks like a great Stir fry sauce - funny thing is i used kikkoman's low sodium.. Fish sauce is very salty too. Thing is at our house we go light on salt and so we are a bit sensitive.

I did forget Fresh Ginger in my list of ingredients...

Thanks!!!!!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    It is a great sauce for many uses and yes salt is a problem, boiling concentrates the saltiness, but that's the way it is. Great for stir fried fried rice, wonton dipping sauce etc.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I love me some wokking...nice close up pic too. Keep On Eggin'
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Awesome - Thanks again.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Hi Tony,

Thanks - I've gotten to really like me Wok too. Amazingly easy on the egg.
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    My kind of stuff...Love noodles and spice! Looks so fresh and good!