Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg repairs

texegghead
texegghead Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I got my new egg with a crack in the lid. I'm waiting on the company to send me a new lid but, in the mean time I want to use the egg I have now. The website says I can use a high temp epoxy to repair cracks, but what brand? Does anyone know what brand of epoxy works best?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Bummer on the lid but would like to welcome you to the forum (our little cult).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thanks, I appreciate it. I can't wait to start using my egg. I'm a little disappointed that it's taking so long to have a replacement lid shipped. That's why I'm wanted to temp fix the cracked lid I have now so I can smoke some ribs for this weekend.
  • texegghead: How bad is the crack? Is the lid still together? I am tempted to say just go for it, but without knowing the scope of the crack, impossible to say. So, more info please?
    Also, welcome to the forum! You will learn a TON here!
  • I think I would call Atlanta and ask them. There could be a reason NOT to try to repair it, or they might suggest something you can use.

I know a few have successfully used JB Weld to repair broken Plate Setters. You might try that. Otherwise, just keep calling your dealer.

Spring "Not Everything Can Be Fixed" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • It starts from around the top of the raised portion of the lid, where the band gos around and travels up to the opening at the top of the lid. There are two other cracks that branch out from the main crack, about a quarter of the way up from the bottom, and travel down to the opening of the lid.
  • I obtained a crack in my base, and have been told by my dealer that there is a backorder on them. He told me that if it's not unusable, to go ahead & use it the way it is until the new one comes in.

And I'll second the "JB Weld" suggestion - I actually tried to bounce my top lid off the concrete (the green ceramic lid that you use when not using the daisy wheel). Needless to say, it didn't bounce very well. But, I did get to break out the JB Weld on it, and aside from not looking too "purty" - it does the job!! :P

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Thanks, I'll try the JB weld. Hopefully I get my new lid soon.
  • Is the dome still in one piece? Is it just cracks in the glaze?