Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What is a good meat slicer?

Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
edited 11:28PM in EggHead Forum
I am wanting to buy an electric slicer. I know there has been information on here before, but nothing much turns up in the search forum. I did find a $99 Chef's Choice model that someone on here had purchased. Is it any good? Any other suggestions?
thanks.
·

Comments

• Unless you are going to buy an industrial one I don't think it's worth it. I purchased one years ago for around $100 and the hassle of cleaning it was not worth it - donated it to the in-laws for a garage sale $.25.

I heard from a chef that the best slicer is a high end set of knives - kept sharp of course. I purchased the Wolfgang Puck knives - not that high end but work great and easy to clean.

Sorry, doesn't directly answer your question.
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    LBGE (2010)
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,477
    Frank, put the cursor in the site search box, upper right. No text, just hit enter. Then, enter Chef's Choice slicer and select all words. Quite a few posts on that brand and others.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • A lot of commercial institutions are doing away with them due to workers being hurt etc. They are quite a bit more money, but if you can afford a commercial slicer, they are REALLY nice. You should be able to find a used one for a reasonable price at a restaurant supply shop in your area. Commercial slicers can do cheese and really fine slices much better than the small motors can in domestic brands. I got a SMALL commercial machine for around $400 20 years ago that is still serving me quite well. A comparable machine now sells for around $500 from what I have seen.

This site seems to have some good ideas on different brands etc. http://www.galttech.com/research/household-DIY-tools/best-meat-slicer.php

http://davescupboard.blogspot.com/2009/03/product-review-cabelas-commercial-grade.html likes the Cabelas high end slicer.

Please update us on what you find out!
    ·
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Thanks all, I have good knives, can't really justify [can you say "afford"] a commercial model, but I would like to be able to slice deli-thin meat, so I will just ponder this awhile.
    I appreciate everyone's input :)
    ·
  • I looked for one for many years and finally found an old hobart on Craigslist for $200. . It has a small leak in the gear box that i have to maintain, the blade was new when i bought it. It will slice for hours and can be adjusted down to where the meat will just shred..
    ·
  • A local butcher sold me their small commercial one. (Fleetwood Mignon 250). It needed some minor repairs and the cutting wheel needed serious sharpening. Parts are still readily available or a decent hardware store can find something that'll work.

It really does the job well. I haven't been happy with the home models I've used.

I would keep an eye on Craigs List and e-bay. You might find a deal at restaurant supply shop that handles used stuff.
    ·