Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggor's Inventions - Lower Level (5 pics)

Pakak
Pakak Posts: 523
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This first pic is a rehash of what he's done before. It shows how he has place some rods on top of the firebox, below the fire ring, to carry a few different configurations. Also, it makes lifting the fire ring up and out a snap.[p]DSC_0015.jpg[p][p]One can also place a pizza stone on top of the rods for indirect cooking.
DSC_0017.jpg[p][p]A bent rod doo-dad that can serve as a replacement for a platesetter, among other things.
DSC_0021.jpg[p][p]Put a drip pan on top of this!
DSC_0020.jpg[p][p]The inverted doo-dad, platesetter replacement!
DSC_0022.jpg[p]

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Pakak,
    what kind of steel are we lookin at?
    how long does it last in close proximity to the lump?[p]looks very bueno...

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    stike,[p]everything is 304 stainless, should last bout 50 yrs or more but i need to find out how much distortion there is after it sits in the egg for an hour at 800 deg. i doubt much if any.[p]Scott

• eggor
    by the way the rig between the fir ring and box has been in the egg since january, a little steel wool and it looks like new.

• stike
    eggor,
    that's great
    thanks.[p]i imagine most of that is for lo-and-slo cooks anyway, so it prob'ly won't see 800 degrees much, right?

• eggor
    stike, actually grid and extender will both work as drip pan holder-platesetter for the low and slow but the small grid also is used in the center of the main grid for the high temp sears. guess the guys with the K have been havin problems wtih the expansion of thier grids. also want to see just how hot i can get the small grid and try to do a sear just above the coals. [p]Scott

• stike
    eggor,
    i'd been toying with the idea of a mesh holder for lifting the lump up higher in a basket, getting the lump closer to the underside of the grid.[p]less lump and closer to the steaks, say during a high temp sear.[p]and that would permit the grid to remain at the typical height.[p]evry try that?

• eggor
    stike,[p]actually that may work better than lowering the grid and having to reach inside to the bottom and riskin a real nasty burn. tell you what. not that i planned on steak tonight i'll try the lowered grid on some steaks either tonight or tomorrow. if it seams that i end up with a better sear or anything of benefit I'll let you know. don't know how many times wifey will let me eat steaks in the name of science. LOL