Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NiEGGara Fest Recipe - Naan

Options
chocdoc
chocdoc Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This recipe was adapted from a Cooks Illustrated recipe from several years ago. It's in weight measurement rather than volume because I make it in my thermomix and I can just weigh in the ingredients. I'll try to add back the volume measurements here where I can.

30 grams strained whole wheat flour (approx 1/4 cup)
400 grams bread flour (about 2 3/4 cups)
15 grams ghee (1 tbsp)
5 grams sugar (1 tsp)
10 grams fresh yeast (or one package of dried yeast)
65 grams yogurt, beaten (1/4 cup)
1 small egg, beaten
1 ½ tsp salt
250 grams water (1 cup)
mixture of nigella and black sesame seeds
additional ghee for brushing

Food Processor - sprinkle yeast over the 1/4 cup of warm water, and allow to soften and dissolve. Place flour, sugar and salt in bowl of food processor. Buzz until blended. Add yogurt, egg and ghee and dissolved yeast and buzz until blended. With motor running pour cold water through feed tube and allow dough to form a ball. Let ball run around the inside of the bowl 20 times.
Non food processor method- in large bowl sprinkle yeast over warm water. Add ghee, egg, sugar and yogurt, mix in with wooden spoon. Add salt, sieved whole wheat flour and bread flour and stir with spoon until flour is incorporated. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 12 to 15 minutes. Place in bowl or plastic container, cover and let sit until doubles in bulk, about 30 to 45 minutes. At this point, dough can be punched down, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, and refridgerated up to 2 days.
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and cut into 8 equal pieces. Flour lightly and roll with rolling pin to a 4 inch circle. Let rest for 10 minutes, then roll into a 6 inch circle. If using sesame or black seeds, brush top lightly with water then sprinkle with 3/4 tsp seeds. Roll over with rolling pin to help seeds adhere.

Heat EGG to 500 degrees F with direct heat and pizza stone on grill.

Place naans on the pizza stone, flip in a minute or two when bottom starts to get brown. Cook another minute or two until the top browns then remove from heat. Brush a little bit of ghee on the browned side after flipping and again after removing from heat.