Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NiEGGara Fest Recipe - Sticky Buns

Options
chocdoc
chocdoc Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Very much enjoyed my first eggfest, enjoyed meeting all the delightful eggheads - and as promised I'm posting recipes. I'll start with the sticky buns. This recipe is from Cooks Illustrated 2004.

DOUGH
3 large eggs
¾ cup buttermilk, 190 grams
¼ cup sugar, 50 grams
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
2 ¼ teaspoons yeast
4 ¼ cups flour, 595 grams
6 tablespoons melted butter, 90 grams
GLAZE
6 tablespoons butter, 90 grams
¾ cup light brown sugar, 150 grams
3 tablespoons corn syrup, 45 grams
2 tablespoons heavy cream, 30 grams
pinch salt
FILLING
¾ cup light brown sugar, 150 grams
3 teaspoons cinnamon
¼ teaspooncloves
pinch salt
1 tablespoon melted butter, 15 grams
PECAN TOPPING
3 tablespoons butter, 45 grams
¼ cup light brown sugar, 50 grams
3 tablespoons corn syrup, 45 grams
pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 ounces pecans, toasted

Knead all dough ingredients together for about 5 minutes. Let dough rise until double, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Cook glaze ingredients - pour into 13 by 9 pan.

When the dough has doubled, knock down, roll into a 16"x12" rectangle Brush the dough with melted butter and sprinkle filling to 3/4 inch of top. roll, cut into 12 slices. Place on glaze in pan. Cover and let rise 1 1/2 hours. Heat egg to about 400 degrees F, place setter legs down, with grill on place setter and pizza stone on grill. Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes - until an instant read thermometer shows a temperature in the cooked dough of 180 degrees F. Cool 10 min, invert. Spoon over topping that has been simmered to combine.

Optionally, second rise in fridge overnight, let stand at room temp 1 1/2 hours before baking. Or you can freeze dough after placing slices on glaze. Thaw in fridge overnight, let stand room temperature for 1 1/2 hours before baking.

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ran a search for some pecan sticky buns....this one came up from 2010. Any of you seasoned veterans ever do this one or have one of your own you might recommend? Not sure if the OP is still around the forum...but if so, please weigh in (no pun intended).
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Sorry I can't help but that's digging deep in the archives. 
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    @northGAcock I've made these before.  It's kind of a long story but basically I took a 1 month baking course in college.  1 month 8 hours a day.  I learned a ton.  These are good and I still use the recipe from time to time. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • chocdoc
    Options
    OP is me. I still make these. I also use the dough as the basis for a whole series of 'not cinnamon rolls'. It's an excellent dough.
  • northGAcock
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @northGAcock I've made these before.  It's kind of a long story but basically I took a 1 month baking course in college.  1 month 8 hours a day.  I learned a ton.  These are good and I still use the recipe from time to time. 
    Grilling.....where you been? Haven't heard much from you since the driveway project. 

Thanks for the response. 

• northGAcock
    edited December 2016
    Options

chocdoc said:
    OP is me. I still make these. I also use the dough as the basis for a whole series of 'not cinnamon rolls'. It's an excellent dough.
    @chocodoc Outstanding. These are on my list to do this weekend. Tell me more about the series. You have my attention.....and glad you are around to share. I appreciate it immensely. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    chocdoc said:
    good to see you drop in, hope all is well!
    canuckland
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    @northGAcock I haven't been around much lately.  I've been in and out of the country for much of the last year.  I've still been cooking a ton but nothing that noteworthy.  I'm back for good now and will be around.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • chocdoc
    Options
    chocdoc said:
    good to see you drop in, hope all is well!
    All is well - and you?
  • chocdoc
    Options
    Here is one version -

Not Your Father's Cinnamon Buns

Ingredients

• 3 large eggs
    • ¾ cup buttermilk, 190 grams
    • ¼ cup sugar, 50 grams
    • 1 ¼ tsp salt
    • 2 ¼ tsp instant yeast
    • 4 ¼ cups flour, 595 grams
    • 6 tbsp melted butter, 85 grams
    • 4 ounce package cream cheese, beaten to lighten
    • 1 bottle bourbon bacon jam
    • 1 cup grated old cheddar

Method

1.Prepare 13 by 9 inch metal baking pan by oiling, rubbing with shortening or spraying with pan spray (ie Pam).

Mix all ingredients down to melted butter, knead together until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. 
    2.Cover and let rise until doubled - about 2 to 1/2 hours.
    3.Roll out dough into a 16" by 12" roll. Spread with beaten cream cheese, top with bourbon bacon jam, sprinkle with cheddar and roll up, sealing edge with a bit of water.

Cut into 12 pieces and place in the prepared baking pan. 
    4.Cover and let rise about 1 1/2 hours.
    5.Preheat egg to about 350 F dome temperature with plate setter legs up, rack on legs, and pizza stone on rack.  

Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the bread is 180 F. 

• chocdoc
    Options
    Another variation based on the one above - "This year I used some Malidzano - a Macadonian green pepper and eggplant spread in place of the bourbon bacon jam. I added a couple of finely minced garlic cloves to the cream cheese."

I know another year I went a bit sweeter with lemon and ginger - but can't find the recipe I put together. Must have neglected to write it down.