Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4 8LB pork butts problem

Options
tstick
tstick Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday (and the night before) I smoked 4 8 Lb pork butts. Coated with mustard and rub and refrigerated for 10 hours. Got the Egg @ 250 and kept it there for 19 hours. It was full! Almost had to force the lid down. I pulled them, distributed to my friends, and pulled the one I saved for myself. I found that I could not pull the bone out easily. I cut large chunks of the meat then pulled it. Should I have raised the temp to 325-350 for the last couple of hours? I thought surely they woul be falling off the bone after 19 hours. What do you think? I have to do this again pretty soon. Thanks for any imput. tstick

Comments

• tstick, check your temp gauge for accuracy using the boiling water method. I did 3 on the raised grid with a 11 lb brisket under em and the bones did pull out very easily. And yes it was such a tight fit that I had to lay the 3 butts directly on top of the brisket for about 8 hrs before I could put in the raise grid.

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    tstick,[p]I've said it many times before and I will say it again.... You cannot "time" BBQ. It will tell "YOU" when it is done. "Around" 200* internal temp is where it reaches perfection for pulling.[p]Based on the information you provided, I do not believe it reached the true 200* you wanted. I have done 4 butts several times and they went much longer than 19 hours to reach the desired temp. You may want to closely monitor your internal temp for future cooks. And yes... I always kick the dome temp to around 300* (no higher) for the last few hours. Works great every time otherwise. Just relax and let the BBQ do the work and the talking.[p]Cheers and beers at ya,
    Bob

• MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Options
    Chet,
    The last time I did 4 butts the dome temp was 260-265* for 20 hours and the grid temp was 200*. It took 6 more hours at a grid temp of 225 to pull the pork at a temp of 185*.[p]My Guru did the temp control,wouldn't do lo and slo without it.[p]Howard in Bartow

• tstick, " It was full! Almost had to force the lid down." [p]that may be the problem, not enough room for the warm air to move around the meat in order to cook it properly. after 19 hrs at 225* you should have had the bone falling out. [p]reg