Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza Tonight - Set Up Help

Options
Jumping Joe
Jumping Joe Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We plan on making our firs BGE pizza tonight. Any suggestions on a good set up for a nice thin crust pizza. I have fire bricks, platesetter and BGE pizza stone.

I have some pictures of my first butt that I will post later tonight. 18 hours of loving :P .... tasted fantastic. We have plenty of leftovers.....

We also made a alder planked salmon that out perfect but i didn't take any pictures after the cook.

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Platesetter legs down, some spacers to give approx 1/2" airspace between platesetter and stone, then the stone.
    I use three large [3/4" I think] nuts for the spacers. A lot of folks use copper pipe fittings [1/2" ells].
    You can use wadded up Alum foil if necessary.
    Build a good fire and let it stabilize. You will get all sorts of ideas about cooking temps on here, I tend to stay on the lower side, around 500. A thin crust pie [our preference] will take 10-12 min.
    I like to build my pie on parchment paper, put the paper and pie on the stone together, then slip the paper out after 4-5min.
    You will see lots of other methods, but this is what works for me. :)
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I use platsetter legs down. and put your pizza stone on top with airspace. I use the green legs for the 550 degree pizza. For the 700 degree I like it higher off the platesetter.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    As a general rule, the thinner your crust, the lighter the toppings, the higher the temp and the faster the cook.

Other factors come into play, but this should get you started. Let your egg pre-heat for 30-45 minutes with the stone and everything inside before cooking the first pie. This will help you get a good oven spring and texture to the crust.

AlmostDone121708.jpg
  • Jumping Joe
    Options
    HAHA - nice use of the feet. I'll go with it and see what happens. I haven't had a bad experience yet on the BGE. We bought some Pizza crust yeast and are going to try that out as well.

Once again thanks for all the wonderful advice. We are still amazed we did a butt that came out perfect on our first attemp and even grilled corn on the cob for an hour after the butt came off .... I was worried that the fire would run out after 10 hours......10 hours later (20 in total) it was still going strong WOW!
  • Jumping Joe
    Options
    And it looks like you have a full load of lump in correct? up to the top of the fire ring?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    yea, it starts that way.

the feet spacers wasn't my idea...just one of the many tips I picked up here.
  • KenHawk
    Options
    We did pizzas saturday night at about 550 F.
    Aything thicker than an 1/8 of an inch took 10 minutes.
    (I let everyone make their own.)

Anything rolled thin (used a FornoBravo crust recipe) turned out great in 5 or 6 minutes.

Should I be trying to hold a higher temp - 600 to 700 degrees F?