Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pibil Question!

Options
Mflyer
Mflyer Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am preparing to cook the Cochinta Pibil tomorrow and I purchased the achoite paste without the annatto. I noticed it did not have the same red coloring as other posts on the forum. Will this make a difference in the taste? If so, what do I do now?!?!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    The annatto seeds are the red coloring in the achoito paste. Not sure how you got the paste without the annatto seeds. Some lesser quality are more reddish yellow and this may be the lack of bright red in your batch.
    Should not effect your food, but if you want a deep red color add food coloring or some cochineal powder. Popular in Indian cooking for red color.
  • Mflyer
    Options
    Thanks for the response! I decided to go to the store and get the achoite paste with the annatto seeds. I'll add a little and see what happens. Thanks