Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I boiled some ribs

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody that knows me knows that I love experimenting with different ways of cooking. Lately I've been playing with babybacks and today I had a thought. Probably 90% of people say you should boil them then grill. This is blasphemy to BBQ people, but it got me thinking. Boiling removes flavor but what if you boiled in a vacuum bag? So I took a rack and cut it in half, seasoned with salt, cayenne, and mint and sealed them up in Foodsaver bags.

IMG_1940.jpg

Got some water boiling and dropped in the ribs, when the boil returned I turned it to low and covered the pot.

IMG_1942.jpg

At 10 minutes into the cook I thought things were starting to go south. There was air starting to show up in the bags. At 30 minutes I was sure this was a disaster because the bags had turned into balloons. I have no idea where the air came from but was concerned that the meat would not contact the hot water.

IMG_1945.jpg

At 40 minutes I took them to the grill, 325 direct raised grid. I cooked them turning every 10 minutes and spritzing with apple juice and cider vinegar. I cooked them another 40 minutes. They were pretty but I really had my doubts.

IMG_1946.jpg

I rested them for about 10 minutes while I cooked some corn in the pot the ribs cooked in. Then cut the rack into individual ribs. I don't sauce when experimenting so that I am just tasting the product without being influenced by the sauce.

IMG_1948.jpg

I have to tell you these were as good as any rib I have ever put in my mouth and they were done in only 80 minutes. They had a perfect bite off the bone, all the fat was rendered, and they melted in my mouth. I'll boil again. -RP

IMG_1949.jpg

Comments