Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does rain effect cooking turkey

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It may rain thanksgiving. We are first timers,
does, rain effect cooking the turkey. Any tips?

Comments

• Rita,
    Not if you leave the dome closed....[p]I cook all winter, in snow, sleet, wind, or rain...very little effect, except on the knucklead out braving the weather.[p]Mike in MN

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Rita,[p]For over 5 years now I've stood out in all kinds of weather cooking our favorite foods on Mr. Egg. and it wasn't until last year I sprung for a $39 deck umbrella to go over the table. It's not that I'm cheap, it just never occured to me to get one - I'm a little slow. I also have a little galvanized stove cap that just fits over the top vent. It's a little more comfortable when I'm cooking is inclement weather now. And when it's snowing my neighbors are more convinced than ever of my mental state. ("Hey, Marge, dimwit has the umbrella up and it's snowing.") They always manage to find a reason to step out on the deck and ask what I'm cooking though. What was the question?
  • Rita,
    rain won't affect a thing, except maybe your hair-do...[p]i take a piece of aluminum foil, fold it up a couple of times, then work it around the daisy wheel handle and up about two inches over the daisy wheel to keep any rain from going into the egg. ..otherwise, everything else stays the same, rain, snow, cold, heat or otherwise. ..

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Rita,
    Sundown is right.The umbrella works really good.
    Larry

[ul][li]BGE's Under Umbrella[/ul]