Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Spathcock Turkey

EricEric Posts: 83
edited 8:41PM in EggHead Forum
Can it be done? I know that even w/ a large there would be space issues but I think that if you halved the bird and put 1/2 on the grid and the other on a raised grid it would work.[p]Thoughts?[p]PS. If going to New Orleans, check out our B&B The Bohemian Armadillo[p]
[ul][li]Bohemian Armadillo B&B New Orleans[/ul]

Comments

• Chef WilChef Wil Posts: 702
    turkeyjpeg.jpg
    <p />Eric,
    heres one I did last year, its about a 16 lb'er, indirect with apple juice in drip pan, used hickory and a little pecan

• Chef Wil,
    why does that look a little weird??. ..did you splitit down the breast bone rather than the back bone?? i'm trying to figure out how you got the drumsticks aimed at each other that way. ..

• GretlGretl Posts: 670
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Fold her little knees in.

• Max, LOL, I'm still LOL, before I read you saying that I was thinking it. I'm guessing it fit better cut that way.
  • Gretl, that's a fat kneed turkey if I ever seen one...might be a little hard to do.

• GretlGretl Posts: 670
    Chet,
    It's the modest position.

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 22,716
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    the pop up looks like the right position, he probably had to break the legs to get it to fit in the egg?

• Chef WilChef Wil Posts: 702
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    just cracked the breastbone and layed it in, thats the way she wanted to cuddle up in the egg.

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    The photo shows a bird with the back bone removed. See the little temp thingy-do? It's in the breast.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BBQfan1BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    "Spathcock Turkey"? Is that based on the Mad Maxth/Daffy Duck rethipe?
    Qfanth

• BBQfan1,
    THUFFERIN' THUCKOTASH!!!!![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • RannyRanny Posts: 18
    Chef Wil,
    How many hours to cook or did you use the pop-up method?
    What temp?
    Finally, did anyone get in a fight over the legs like at our house?