Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brined Turkey Drippings

Options
Love Handles
Love Handles Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Mad Max & I were wondering if brined turkey drippings would make the gravy to salty?

Comments

• LoveHandles, I've only brined once and used all the same steps and procedure and even same recipe and it was way too salty. However, I used a frozen already injected bird. I now believe you would probably come out about the same brining a fresh bird as not brining a frozen one. Also I gave some incorrect info on this subject a week or so ago which said, "the butterball had half the solution in it as other brands" , I checked yesterday an it was the honeysuckle white that has half the solution as the rest of the brands.

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    LoveHandles,
    Hi Mike. I did a turkey for the our Canadian Thanksgiving (the 'real' Thanksgiving as my buddy says) using Max's recipe and a few modifications. I did not find the gravy too salty, but then I took some steps to limit the salt in the other ingredients: unsalted butter rather than salted, a rub lower in salt content, sodium reduced chicken broth as a thinning liquid and I also rinsed the cavity and exterior of the turkey and patted it dry/air chilled it before starting to cook.
    I think just being cognizant of the sodium content of the ADDITIONAL ingredients you apply/baste the bird with, will help counter the known sodium factor in the brine. It's also my thinking that using aromatic and 'absorbant' items like onions, celery and apples in the cavity will draw off some of the saltiness from a cooking bird. No scientific proof to back up that one, just a hunch on my part; take it with a grain of you-know-what. ;-)
    Qfan
    Qfan

• Love Handles
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    thanks man---I still haven't decided to brine or not to brine this Thanksgiving. I bet its cold up there huh? See-Yaa

• LoveHandles, because brining adds so much to the bird if it were me i would go ahead and brine anyway. use 3/4 of a cup of salt to your brine mix instead of the full cup. [p]take all the things you don't use from the bird, neck, giblets, heck even use some chicken stock to make a gravy then at the end use SOME of you drippings, but just enough that it is not to salty but will still give you a burst of the turkey flavor you are looking for.[p]reg

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    LoveHandles,[p]I wouldn't go any other way than brining and have had no problems with the gravy being too salty.[p]Hope you're doing well,[p]Tonia
    :~)