Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did a batch of jerky last night..

WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You can see the picumentary of the whole process on my website, in the "cooks" section...The cook itself was a success, but flavor was less than expected. This is only my second attempt at jerky on the egg, but this proved that some experimentation is in order....Enjoy..[p]Wess
[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]

Comments

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    WessB, looks good. I've tried the commercial cures as well, and there's nothing really better than a homemade concoction based in terryaki or worcesterschire.[p]What cut of meat was that and is that what you usually use?[p]Scott

• WessB
    Borders,
    I normally use london broil, this was a cut from costco, I believe it was some kind of "round" the closest thing to a london broil in shape that they had...I do have my own concoction that I have spent years perfecting for the dehydrator, which is running as we speak. I think a little tweaking to my marinade would prove promising on the egg, as I said the texture came out fine....just another lesson learned...and just for the record, the seasoning was "Wild West seasoning hickory flavored jerky cure & seasoning"...I would say, dont bother with this stuff...kinda tasted like an extremely salty hot dog.....yup a friggin hot dog..go figure...LOL..I`ll be amazed if we end up eating it all...HTH[p]Wess

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    WessB,
    the best jerky I ever made was using Dale's Sauce and brown sugar to taste. I've only done it in an Excalibur dehydrator though and not the EGG. It's on my list of things to do though.

• Borders
    WessB, its a shame to go through all that and not have killer jerky. I dont know if youve seen any of my earlier posts on this subject, but I've been into smoking my jerky on the egg, and then finishing it in my dehydrator. I get the predictable product of the dehydrator, with the taste of real smoke.[p]I like london broil alot too. Last time I used eye of round, and I'm going to try it again.[p]Keep posting on jerky, Scott

• Sigmore
    Borders, that's all I ever use. Get real nice jerky medallions with that eye of round.

• Borders
    sigmore, Ok, that confirms my thought that it was a good candidate. I did the medallion style also. Have you tried eye of round going with the grain?

• Sigmore
    Borders, I haven't tried it that way because I use a meat slicer and it was just easier to slice it into medallions. Strips would probably be good too. I like it kind of tough, that's why it's called jerky is my way of thinking. You put it in your teeth and kinda jerk a bite off. ;>)

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    WessB,[p]the jerky rack was something i came up with and with the help of pakak we got it posted in the pdf format. you might add that to your page if you still have it. by the way I am working on a another design that should get posted in the next couple days that adds a new twist, actually a whole bunch of new ideas that i've been playin with.[p]Scott

• WessB
    eggor,
    I will most certainly give you credit for the design. If you want to send me the pdf file I will also put it on my server with a link to it from the jerky page, and can include it on my tips page...If you would like.[p]Wess

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    WessB,
    I'm at work now, when i get home i'll send off the pdf.