Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pulled Chicken Sliders

Grub BloggerGrub Blogger Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to the Rangers-Yankees game and had a mini-tailgate before, serving up some pulled chicken sliders I made in the morning back at the house. So easy and so good.

About 6 pounds of chicken quarters, without the rib section which just gets in the way. Salt and pepper, indirect between 320* and 340* for about an hour and fifteen minutes. Let them cool down, pulled off the skins and chopped up the crispiest parts, pulled the chicken and then gave it all a rough chop. Into a pot at low heat with like a quarter cup of my homemade bbq sauce, a couple of tablespoons of apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Served on mini slider buns at the ballpark. Made a few friends.

++
Sept%2011%202010%20035.JPG
++
Sept%2011%202010%20036.JPG
++
Sept%2011%202010%20038.JPG
++
Sept%2011%202010%20039.JPG[img size=150][/img]
++
Sept%2011%202010%20040.JPG
++
Sept%2011%202010%20041.JPG
++
Sept%2011%202010%20042.JPG
++
Sept%2011%202010%20175.JPG
·

Comments

• Did you add wood chunks to the lump? The chicken has great color and the pulled meat looks great.
    ·
  • Oh, yeah! Forgot to mention that I soaked apple wood and hickory (60/40) and put on top of the hot coals. Key element. Thanks for keeping me honest!
    ·
  • GrumpaGrumpa Posts: 861
    Sliders look fantastic! Care to share any info on your sauce? It looks so rich and flavorful.
    ·
  • BBQ Sauce:

saute diced medium onion in vegetable oil for about five minutes, to soften.

Add a couple of tablespoons of chili powder, couple of tablespoons of paprika, salt and black pepper, a little garlic powder, touch of cayenne. Saute for 30 seconds to bloom dry spices.

Add two tablespoons of cane syrup or molasses, one 28 oz can of whole tomatoes, 1 8 oz can of regular tomato sauce, 1/2 cup apple juice, 2 tablespoons cider vinegar.

Let it simmer for 2 or 2.5 hours, stirring occasionally. Blend in blender or with immersion blender (much easier). Thin with juice, if needed.

I then pass Louisiana hot sauce, in case people like a touch of heat.
    ·
  • GrumpaGrumpa Posts: 861
    Thanks for taking the time to share. I will give it a try as well as the pulled chicken, looks like a winner.
    ·
  • Forgot that I used a tablespoon of brown sugar in BBQ sauce, also.
    ·