Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Report

Cpt'n Cook
Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to the Flea Markets at Brimfield MA yesterday. Tons of cast iron, literally. Much of it way overpriced. It seemed to be much more plentiful than in other years. There were a lot of lookers and CI lovers but most seemed to think it was overpriced.

2 yrs. ago we bought a 5 1/2 qt dutch oven with a trivet in almost new condition for $20 (talked down from $25), this year we saw the same pot for $65 with no trivet.

Comments

• Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    I just went to a large flea market up the road last weekend...sole reason was to find some CI. I walked out with an ashtray and burger, because the CI was either in crap condition, or WAY overpriced..or both. :S

I wanted to tell some of the vendors that I could grab new Lodge CI for the same...or even less in some cases. I realize that CI gets better with age, but the aged CI they had was in neglect for a while.

I've been looking for CI at these types of venues for the last 3 months...I'm officially done trying.

Left with the idea that anyone who properly enjoys its qualities, won't sell it!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Most of the CI on Craigslist is way overpriced also. I will take new Lodge over decades old stuff at 3 times the price anyday.
  • Most of your Flea Markets are looking for collectors not cookers. If you have a Goodwill or Salvation Army store in your area check at them ever now and then. Yard sales will sometimes give you a kitchen clearing bargin. Some of the best buys I have gotten have been at Walmart on clearace. Bought about eight Lodge Dutch Ovens for around $7 a piece one time. Made some friends happy at Christmas.

Good Luck on your Search,
    Poppasam
  • New here! Hi all!

I have many pieces of CI. Poppasam got it right when stating that Goodwill or the Salvation Army stores (or any other thrift type store) is a great place to find CI at a good price. Or estate auctions if you have them in your area and garage sales. I've had luck at flea markets too. Just stay out of antique markets. Those are total ripoffs. FYI, I've never paid more than ten dollars for any one piece and I have over 30 pieces of black CI.
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Welcome Ham!

Maybe I should come to you for the Dutch Oven I'm hunting? B)

Wally World is 5 minutes away...guess that's where I should head at this point.
  • Fornia, you can find bargains at online auctions. Happy hunting! :)