Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

raised grid purpose

Options
Jo
Jo Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All![p]I don't think I have understood the purpose of this accesory...I always thought you use the raised grid when you need more cooking surface (a lot of stuff). But, looking thru recipes, I see more and more instructions for cooking things on the raised grid. Can someone explain for me?
Thank so much

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Jo,
    One of the biggest advantages to a raised grid is that you get your food further away from the coals. It`s also been said the heat is more even the further up in the dome you go. There are many good reasons to use one other than the fact that you do gain more cooking area..HTH[p]Wess

• Jo
    Options
    WessB,
    Thanks Wess! Good to hear from you![p]Jo in the Bahamas

• Howdy Jo!
    I do most of my direct grilling on a raised grate. Like Wess mentioned, there is a spot up in the dome where the reflected heat is similar to the direct heat from the fire below. And being further from the coals, reduces the uneven effect of the hot spots below.[p]Hope you have been well. Not much time here to post lately, but I have been checking in when I can.
    Have a great week.
    Chris

• Jo
    Options
    Naure Boy,[p]Good timing Chris! I need to give you a Christmas gift order! Glad you are well. I'll go find your phone #[p]Jo
  • terrafirmay
    Options
    Naure Boy,
    When you say you do direct grilling on a raised grate, do you mean the cooking grate is on top of an inverted plate setter? with a drip pan? Or, do use a second grate on legs about the height of the felt seal? Or, something else I'm not picturing? Thanks.[p]I know it's been said before but you are a helluva cook.[p]****[p]

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    terrafirmay,[p]I think he places the orginal grate down on the fire ring and then the raised grate, it is a little smaller with legs that hook into the orginal grate. No placesitter or drip pan.[p]I like this for chicken also.[p]CWM
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy ****
    Sorry for taking so long to get back. Yes, a second grate at the height of the felt seal (or higher). The platesetter would make it indirect.[p]Thanks so much for the compliment, but I have a great deal to learn still![p]Take care, and feel free to email me anytime. Lately I have had a tough time keeping up on the forum.
    Happy cookin!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ