Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

maintaining smoke

doubleA
doubleA Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all, how do y'all go about maintaining smoke for a long period of time? At the most I get 1 hour of smoke when running at 225-275F... then if I need more, I have to remove everything and add more chips. Or sometimes I get only one hot spot during a smoke and the rest of the chips go unused. Its getting frustrating.

I do soak my chips, I put large chucks of coal on the bottom, working my way up... what else can I do? Get chunks of wood? Thanks for the advice in advance.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i like the chunks better, you wont see much smoke with them but its there and it lasts alot longer than you think. when you see alot of smoke in an egg cook its not usually a good smoke, when you see a translucent blue smoke, thats good smoke, its almost invisible but the flavor is there and if you go smell it from the top vent you will know its still smoking. soaking chips or chunks isnt needed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Try using chunks and having one on the bottom, one in the middle, and a couple on the top of the lump.

Sprinkle chips around the top ones if you want to mix flavors. I've been using three chunks of guava and surrounding the middle chunk with pecan chips lately with real good results.

Also, no need to soak them. Key is to let the smoke burn off for 30-45 minutes first before adding the meat.
    It may not look like much smoke coming out, but it will be quality smoke, and will continue for hours.

Also, the smoke doesn't add too much after the first couple hours so no need to worry if it lasts the whole cook. After a couple hours into it, those wood chunks will be charcoal themselves and add a different flavor than the oak you started with.
  • I use chunks through out my lump and I don't soak. I always get plenty of smoke flavor even when it appears no smoke is coming out. Tim :)
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    To echo. I use a handful or two of chips spread around the whole surface of the lump. No need to soak. Less need to see smoke the entire cook. The smoke is to give you that hint of smokiness....it doesn't 'cook' the meat.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    I use chunks and don't soak. You can smell the smoke coming out the top even if you can't see it.
  • i assumed you had to see the smoke!
  • so how long to smoke is my next question then. is 3 hours good then on a long smoke?
  • fishlessman
    trust your nose over your eyes. ;)
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    rule of thumb is three chunks thrown in at the beginning, see how the ribs or pork butt tastes, then adjust up or down for your next cook depending on your likes or dislikes on a long cook. things like poultry use very little or none. in the beginning it can smoke like crazy, if you smell it and it doesnt smell good then wait til it smells good before adding the meat. trust your sense of smell. there really is no rule for how long, except the longer it sees smoke the stronger the smoke flavor may be, bbq wil pick up smoke the whole time it sees smoke
    fukahwee maine