Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Fat side of a butt

fishinjdbfishinjdb Posts: 18
edited 12:37AM in EggHead Forum
Doing my first butt this weekend, (8.20#). Really excited!!!! I have read a bunch on here about how - I am pretty comfortable with everything so far. My question is: does it matter if the fat is on the top or the bottom?

Thanks for all of the great posts and pictures. I have really been enjoying cooking on the egg.

Comments

• I go fat side up. Works for me.
  • That's like asking "Ginger or Mary Ann".....everyone has an opinion.

I like my butts, fat side down!
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 11,668
    Ginger. No contest. :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ChappyChappy Posts: 198
    Here is my opinion. Fat side down is the way to go. The fat unlike popular opinion, doesn't render down and baste the meat. Let it be on the bottom and provide a barrier for the hottest part of the fire. It will work either way, but fat down is the best. :)
  • I have Ben cooking butts for years and always cook fat side down

I only put rub on the top, the meat side
  • NC-CDNNC-CDN Posts: 703
    I trim a vast majority of the fat off, but always leave a nice layer.

Fat side UP baby!!! It's how I roll.
  • Same here, I cut most of the fat off, but I roll "Fat Side Down". No point in wasing rub on fat, so I cut it off and got more meat surface for rub. I like bark, so this gives me more w/ fat cut off.