Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hams Dr. Chicken ?

Options
batfire
batfire Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all, couple of questions. What is the Dr. Chicken method ? I read the post on cooking hams, are we talking pre cooked or real bone in raw hams ?

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    batfire,
    This should help.
    Larry

[ul][li]Dr.Chicken's Double Smoked Ham[/ul]
  • YB,
    The recipe uses a smoked ham hence the Double Smoked but I have used the recipe on fresh hams, if you use a fresh ham take the finish temp to 160º rather than the lower finish temp when cooking a smoked ham.
    Jim

• Caney
    Caney Posts: 36
    Options
    batfire,[p]I still prefer fresh hams. It literally means failure or success falls on your shoulders (excuse the pun). I have done a couple and yes, need to take it to 160-165. Also, fresh hams are the hind portion.[p]Not endorsing, but if ever in Atlanta, try Harolds BB-Q on University, close to the Braves stadium. Haven't been in three months since I retired in August. Prior to that, it was at least once a week affair. Most of the time two. The brunswick is the best I have found in Georgia. Fresh ham is awsome.[p]Take care my friend.[p]Caney
    Army, 1968-1971. Thanks to all the Vets out there.[p]

• Caney
    Caney Posts: 36
    Options
    batfire,[p]Sorry for the double post. I meant to say Brunswick Stew. However, Brunswick, GA is a beautiful place to visit with some great seafood.[p]Caney[p]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    Thanks Jim...I have not cooked Dr.Chickens ham but I have cooked Mr.Toads Honey Praline ham and it was great.
    Larry