Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacing gasket

Options
markthewood
markthewood Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any tips on an easy way to strip off the old gasket? I'm getting ready to replace mine after almost 8 years. I'm doing a refresh on my large BGE and am putting on a new spring hinge as well as a couple of other goodies.

Comments

• uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Options
    Fred has put together some good videos on gasket replacement, which I followed when I replaced my gasket on my large. My recommendation is to watch the whole series of videos, and then allow enough time so you can do it carefully. Probably the most time consuming part was removing the old gasket. Here is a link to the video http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/557.htm:

Uglydog
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    You can heat the egg up with a spacer between the upper and lower section allowing heat to escape. A couple of hours at 300 will let the adhesive let go pretty well. At least it did for me. If you want it to be the last gasdket replacement, use a Rutland attacked with high temp silicone adhesive. Be forewarned though, the Rutland has not been approved for use around food.
  • tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    Options
    I first tried to scrape off the remains of the old gasket then I used acetone to get the rest of the peices and the glue off, actually the acetone took it off easier than I expected
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    Use the link that uglydog posted. I watched the whole series and it went without a hitch...good luck.